Thread: Problem with display

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Problem with display

Running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on a Dell Vostro 1520 Laptop I observe the following behaviour: Display set to 1440x900 upon close lid and reopen lid the behaviour is as expected, upon reopening the authentication dialog appears to unlock the desktop, I enter the password and the desktop gets unlocked. The power settings are set to 'suspend' upon closing the lid for 'battery power' as well as for 'plugged in' power

Upon connecting to a beamer the display resolution is reduced to the beamer max. When I unhook the beamer and then close the lid, the behaviour upon reopening the lid is different: I see a black screen with only a date/time and a locked desktop icon in the top line. I found no way to get control of the laptop other than pwoer off which I don't like so much of course.

Another thing I tried was after unhooking the beamer starting the display manager, detecting displays (there is only one of course) and resetting the resolution to 1440x900 before closing the lid led to the same behaviour.

How can I diagnose/fix this problem? Is there at least a way to gain control over the laptop other than cutting the power?

Help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by DrScum; November 5th, 2013 at 12:11 PM. Reason: clarification