Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USB drives mount read-only after last update

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: USB drives mount read-only after last update

I do not know enough about the inner workings of Nautilus and how it auto mounts a flash drive. I was just posting that is does work for me, so I do not think it is a major bug, but something unique to your configuration.

I think it is udisks and it has a command to output drive data. With several drives & many partitions it scrolled off my terminal, so I had to output to text file.

udisks --dump > diskdump

Not sure if that will help or not, hopefully someone that knows more about flash drive mounting will chime in.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

@coffecat: afaik I didn't start my own thread before I posted to dxgrimms thread (post 12840199), if I did anyway, it was unintentionally and definitely not to "highjack" or to to do any other kind of harm. The Problem of newly mounted drives being read only as you can imagine is pretty serious, since it also affected network shares they too were mounted readonly. That's why I was kind of desperate to find a solution since normal work wan't possible anymore.

In the meantime I found out what happened: the ownership of the folder /media apparently was changed and I am pretty shure that this happened during one of the recent upgrades since the symptom occured on two machines both running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and both having been updated recently.

The fix simply was to change ownership of /media. Since I don't know better I used the command chmod -R /media 777 which I think gives total access to everyone to the directory /media and all files and folder included in /media. Definitely the usb drives and the network shares are mounted writeable now.

For clarification, afaik: newly mounted drives are mounted to /media/<newdrive> Thus if the user doesn't have write access to /media he can't have write access to folders included in /media.
    Last edited by DrScum; November 7th, 2013 at 09:38 PM.

Beans

I have had the same experience and followed the advice above. After doing the chmod +R 777 /media, dismounting and reinserting the USB drive still could not write to USB via Nautilus. However command line access was working. Using the command line I completed the task I was attempting, but it does point the finger towards Nautilus.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12