Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buggy Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Buggy Ubuntu

@mc4man

Thanks for your suggestion. Actually, that's how I originally installed Ubuntu 13.10; under "Pure Legacy."

I did, however, do a fresh reinstall using "Pure UEFI" instead. This seems to be rendering more consistent boot-ups for me.

Beans

I'm still having issues with gutenprint. Does anyone have any experience with that being buggy in 13.10?

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Please create a thread in the support areas of the forum for help with gutenprint.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cessanfrancisco View Post
    Is it just me or is Ubuntu 13.10 super buggy? More so than what should be expected as acceptable?
    It's not just you. I just upgraded from my much-loved and rock solid Ubuntu 12.04 to 13.10 (to get proper driver support for a new mainboard/CPU) and have found 13.10 to be a complete mess so far. Buggiest Ubuntu I've used in many many years, and I've used them all. Hope they get this mess cleaned up by 14.04 or I'm switching to Mint or some other distro.

I'm testing Mint 15 on another box right now and it's very nice. I think I could live with it.
    Last edited by futz2; November 13th, 2013 at 07:09 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by futz2 View Post
    It's not just you. I just upgraded from my much-loved and rock solid Ubuntu 12.04 to 13.10 (to get proper driver support for a new mainboard/CPU) and have found 13.10 to be a complete mess so far.
    Was there any specific reason at all to upgrade? I see this a lot. People are completely happy with their rock-solid system, upgrade for the hell of it then complain.

12.04 LTS is supported until 2017 and unless there was something you desperately needed in 13.10, don't see the point. Really simple solution: reinstall 12.04. LTS releases are intended to be stable for production machines and servers, 13.10 is an interim release that is supported for the next eight months. Comparing an interim with what 14.04 LTS will be like doesn't really wash.

Why not keep your LTS release stable, make a spare partition for testing the interim releases, because in my opinion, anything between the LTS is a testing release, particularly now with nine months support. Still be finding nits in 13.10 by the time 14.04 comes out. I used to wait six months after release before installing a new release. No point in that now as there'd only be three months support left! There was barely much point when it was eighteen months, which is probably why I use LTS release only as my main squeeze.

I need a stable, reliable computer.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Was there any specific reason at all to upgrade? I see this a lot. People are completely happy with their rock-solid system, upgrade for the hell of it then complain.
    I didn't upgrade for the hell of it. As I said in my previous post, I upgraded because there's no driver support in 12.04 (and probably never will be) for my new GA-Z87X-OC mainboard's USB and network.

I looked at possibly installing the newest kernel in 12.04, did some Googling and decided it was more likely to break things than to fix my driver problems. Then I installed 13.10 on a test box and it seemed ok, so I installed it on my main box. The test box never gets worked as hard as the main box, and I never noticed the problems until I used it on the main for a few days.

Oh well... I'll keep slogging along and maybe I'll gradually get the worst of the problems worked out. Updates will probably eventually fix some of the problems I'm having, as the bug reports come in and things get fixed up.

I need a stable, reliable computer.
    So do I. Had one. Bought a new mainboard/CPU - didn't have one anymore. Installed 13.10 in an attempt to get one again, but it hasn't worked out so far...

Beans

Unhappy Re: Buggy Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cessanfrancisco View Post
    Is it just me or is Ubuntu 13.10 super buggy?
    I think it is.

ffmpeg doesn't work right.

gutenprint won't install.

The "software center" locks up every third time I use it.

I got tired of trying to make Samba work with it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by charlieprime View Post
    ffmpeg doesn't work right.
    Note that the "ffmpeg" in the repos is not from FFmpeg, but is a fake, buggy version from a fork forced upon Ubuntu users.

Beans

That's just crazy FO. I convert video lectures from .mp4 to .mp3 so I can listen to them on my little player while I drive my car or mow the yard.

This works great on my little Debian machine in the garage, but takes a long time due to it being an old, weak machine. This does not work on my monster Ubuntu machine in the office.

I spent two hours trying to install ffmpeg from Jon Severinsson's PPA, but gave up when my cost:benefit ratio for the week began to go upside-down.
    Last edited by charlieprime; November 15th, 2013 at 03:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Smile Re: Buggy Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Was there any specific reason at all to upgrade?
    Agree with you there. I re-built my main machine which 'was' running 12.04

Was happy with 13.10, looked good, ran well, but a few days ago, each time I rebooted started alerts that a service had failed on start, three each time.

No major deal, everything still runs OK, but this weekend it'll be back to 12.04 as it is rock solid and then a little patience until the next LTS

Moral of this is : LTS = Debian Testing = Pretty damn stable

Interim releases = Debian unstable = Likely to be buggy

If you need or want a stable system, stick with LTS, if you're happy to play around under the hood a lot, then go with the interims.

Just my two pennyworth

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast