Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buggy Ubuntu

Beans

Buggy Ubuntu

Is it just me or is Ubuntu 13.10 super buggy? More so than what should be expected as acceptable?

I don't know, but I have used a bunch of distros on various machines and never have I experienced somethings as buggy as Ubuntu 13.10 on a Lenovo Z580. Sheesh.

Maybe it's just the perfect storm consisting of the most incompatible hardware-software relationship in Linux history.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Buggy Ubuntu

Haven't really noticed anything significant....of course, bug fixes are starting to slowly filter down in the updates...I have a fairly new Toshiba laptop here with intel i3 core and graphics...running quite nice and stable here...

Beans

Can you be more specific? I have experienced some bugs with Compiz's edge flipping but have I have since fixed it with some helps from the forum. Other than that and not able to add ppa via synaptic (fixed too in Ubuntu but not in lubuntu) it has been smooth, fast and stable ever since. I am happy that I have replaced 12.04 with 13.10 (still running 13.04 as my main OS. will switch when all the ppas are set up)

Beans

I've had some problems with some of the panels crashing and dissapearing but that was fixed quickly with some terminal magic.
    Otherwise things are running fine

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Not sure what the problem can/could be. I've found Saucy super stable... so much so that it become my production environment about half way through the cycle.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro

There you have it - "in Linux history." We are using a 'one size has to fit all' operating system - Linux. Buy a machine with an OS preinstalled and you get an OS tailored to the hardware. We are asking the next to impossible by expecting any Linux distribution to run without any issues on the great variety of hardware on the market. I do not aggree with your claim that 13.10 is buggy. The biggest issues I had running both 13.04 and 13.10 during their development cycles were caused by kernel and video driver mismatches. Not to mention the continuing development of Gnome 3 DE. I have found the development version to be so stable as to be boring. I have been using a development version for my usual computer activity for about two years. I am running Trusty Tahr right now.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

I haven't noticed anything alarming or unusual for a new release. Software Center and Settings crash at first launch, but not subsequently.

Many distributions do not enable apport or any similar tool that pops up and alerts the user to problems. That increases the perception that a distribution lacks bugs.

Also, like Windows, new Ubuntu releases cannot be tested on every possible hardware configuration it will be installed on. Inevitably, bugs surface only after release.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cessanfrancisco View Post
    Is it just me or is Ubuntu 13.10 super buggy? ... incompatible hardware-software relationship ...
    Perhaps a combination of all three. I don't go near new releases as my main install, personally.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mbeltov View Post
    I've had some problems with some of the panels crashing and dissapearing but that was fixed quickly with some terminal magic.
    Otherwise things are running fine
    I have experienced that as well, think that was a kernel problem. Unity crashed sporadically if many pdfs were open. Upgrade kernel to 3.11.3 and all is fine (now on 3.12, 3.11.6 is problematic as it doesn't see the Fedora partition)
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; November 5th, 2013 at 04:47 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast