I'm trying to use Ableton Live in Wine (using play on linux) and it is working ok but the audio side of things isn't the best. The sound sometimes gets pops and breaks up. I don't seem to be able to get as much cpu usage out of the program as I did in Windows either, I can live with this but the sound starts flaking out way before it should.

I don't know what I should be using to run Live. I don't have the low latency kernal yet, I don't know if this will help with the sound at all and I'm a bit hesitant to risk it since my system is otherwise quite stable.

I have Jack installed but I don't understand how it can work with Wine, I don't have any options in Wine to choose anything but what is already there, Winepulse.

Do I need to use WineASIO?

Basically I just don't know what would improve the stability of audio, Jack, WineASIO, kernal, some Pulse settings? I also get dropouts/pops when running Foobar through Wine when the system is doing something vaguely intensive. It seems like the audio process in the system is a very low priority compared to everything else.

I'm using Xubuntu 12.04.