Thread: Linux market share - server platforms

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Linux market share - server platforms

Is their a website that shows market shares of the Linux server platform?

Where it might also be possible to see the market shares in different countries, such ass ouuuuuuuu i dont know. Denmark ,)?

Thanks on advance guys.
    I havnt been able to find the above myself with google.

Kind regards.

Beans

Re: Linux market share

There are several dozen sites which track things like this.
    http://www.netmarketshare.com/linux-market-share

As well as
    http://gs.statcounter.com/

Tracking individual user numbers by country is extremely difficult though for several reasons: many users use proxy servers located in another country, linux does not require registration, users can have several installs and flavors on the same system, etc.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Drenriza View Post

Where it might also be possible to see the market shares in different countries, such ass ouuuuuuuu i dont know. Denmark ,)?

Thanks on advance guys.
    I havnt been able to find the above myself with google.

Kind regards.
    ... strange: first hit on Google: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_s...ystems#Servers

BTW: market share in terms of ... what? In terms of sales (read: EUR or USD) is probably smaller than for Windows. In terms of installs, Linux is bigger than Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's very difficult to track and measure the actual percentage of computer users running Linux because there is no Linux market.

Red Hat, Suse, Canonical and a few other businesses sell support subscriptions for their server versions of Linux. But, they do not actually sell Linux. Their sales tallies don't reflect use of Linux on the desktop.

Otherwise, most people acquire Linux by downloading it. Even if those downloads are counted accurately, no one really knows how many actual installations result, or how long they stay in use.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It's 1%. Give or take 1%.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

80%, easily

If you count Android/Linux and not just Gnu/Linux, then the market share is over 80%, Android is even on TVs, not just smartphones and tablets.

If you look at the "top500" super computers, there are about a dozen AIX, one BSD and three "other". The rest of the 500 are Linux. In the top 50, only 2 are AIX, the rest Linux.

If you count servers, the showing is still pretty good even though corresponding MS services have a worse than 1:1 ratio for hardware to service.

It's also all over the pace in embedded devices. Volkswagen, for example, is a contributor to the Linux kernel because it is used in their products. It's also in various consumer-grade and smb-grade routers and switches, though often in the form of Busybox/Linux.

It's only the lock on OEMs where it looks poor for Linux, but that affects the desktop and thus what most people see. Chromebooks, with Chrome/Linux are starting to break that, maybe.

The numbers are different again if you count services. Google runs everything off of Linux. The VA runs VistA on Linux even if the client machines tend to run "other". Both are the largest of their kind by far, in regards to the number of people served. AFAIK Facebook, which is still widely used, and others still run on some form of Linux.

Beans

though this thread is a bit older I thought it might be intersting to add another source of current market share numbers http://www.statista.com/statistics/2...ms-since-2009/
    I couldn't find any numbers regarding the shares of single countries, which is difficult to measure how my previous speakers already mentioned.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Linux market share - server platforms

I would remind everyone that the OP was asking:

I have emboldened the important bit. Which means that much of the responses has been off-topic. Although desktop, mobile device, etc share is interesting, there are probably other threads for that.

I've amended the thread title which was not as clear as the first post.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Re: Linux market share - server platforms

Like all Linux statistics, server counts are highly unreliable. Here is a report by IDC from 2010 for instance:

In Q1 2010, Windows Server was installed on 75.3 percent of the servers sold worldwide. Linux was on 20.8 percent of the servers and Unix on only 3.6 percent. Both Windows Server and Linux grew in share from Q4 2009 to Q1 2010; Unix declined slightly.
    However all these figures report server shipments with pre-installed operating systems. Large organizations that use RedHat might be counted here, but servers built with Linux on bare iron won't be counted, or ones converted from hardware formerly running Windows won't be.

Of course, virtualization has made all these server counts rather meaningless. The days of one system running one operating system are far behind us.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users