Thread: automatic wifi connection in ubuntu?

Beans

automatic wifi connection in ubuntu?

I am trying to find a wifi login system for my newly ubuntu-ized laptop - one that is as easy to use and automatic as logging on to wifi from Windows 7 has been...
    Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: automatic wifi connection in ubuntu?

I do not understand what the problem is. Every time I log in to Ubuntu it automatically makes a WiFi connection to my router. It does that if I have a set up a wireless connection, of course. I have several installs of Ubuntu and I do not always set them up with a WiFi connection.

Go to System Settings and load the Network utility. Make sure that Wireless is set to on. I am assuming that you are using Ubuntu 13.10. It helps if you tell us the version of Ubuntu that you are using. We can give you more accurate directions.

With Wireless set to ON you should see in the right panel a list of wireless access points. Select your wireless access point and click the little arrow on the right. Now click Settings and under the WiFi Security tab you can put in the pass phrase or wireless key for your router/hub. Under the general tab you can set Ubuntu to automatically connect to that access point. That will do it.

Unless the problem is something else that you do not mention.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; November 4th, 2013 at 12:19 AM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Re: automatic wifi connection in ubuntu?

Thank you. It seems to work in my 12.04 installation. I appreciate it!