Thread: British summer time is over

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

British summer time is over

Dark, rainy evenings...... so I'm thinking of playing with linux again.

Back in March/April-ish time I started posting packages that I had compiled for PowerPC. Mainly Mate packages which can be used with compiz 0.8.x. I'm wondering if anybody has used them and if there is interest in newer versions of the packages?

To recap; I have a G4 iBook that is still able to run compiz very well under 12.04. No crashes or graphics glitches. The best environment to run with compiz is Mate (which used to be Gnome 2). You effectively get something like Ubuntu 10.04. I haven't really used Mac OS X much, but I would say the user experience/graphics effects are on a par or even better.

I'm pretty sure some nouveau/nvidia PowerPC users will be able to use compiz 0.8.x too.

I did ask the Linux Mint guys if I could produce a PowerPC edition of their iso, but they (maybe naturally) weren't keen. Producing some other sort of easy install iso remains a possibility though.

It's been several months since I've used my iBook and I haven't really kept up to speed with the latest comings and goings. However, with my brief flick though the various forums etc I don't see anything better than 12.04.

Anyway, I'd welcome thoughts from fellow PowerPC users, tell me what I've missed etc.

Beans

Re: British summer time is over

Not bad work for my first night back:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...t/+bug/1247990

All PowerPC 12.04 wifi users must have this bug so please confirm! I can make available a patched version of the package that I've compiled by myself, but I need people to confirm the bug first!

Beans

Re: British summer time is over

Bump.

I've updated the wiki pages with a few bits n bobs.

If I produce an ISO what updated packages (e.g. libre office) would people like included?