Thread: General Advice

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question General Advice

Hello all,

I would like a bit of advice, I have tried using Ubuntu on my laptop but it seems to overheat and automatically power down (as if you were holing the power button down to switch the laptop off the wrong way).

I'm really keen on using Ubuntu, but this as put me off using it. Also I couldn't find an easy way installing my GPU drivers, which is probably the problem. I found out a about an app that helps with the power consumption called Jupiter, but it wasn't available on the newest version of Ubuntu. I did actually find a way of installing it, but it didn't do anything when I changed the options.

As I am still keen in using Ubuntu, I have tried Xubuntu and for the most part I really like it. It does have the bells and whistles that Ubutnu has, but my GPU fan isn't going crazy, and my laptop hasn't cut out once. This being said, I would still like to get the most out of my hardware and maybe even Steam

My question is, is there an app out there that would give me control on my GPU, so I can turn it to eco mode or something? When I was looking into using Ubuntu for the first time, I think that Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron had my GPU Driver listed, so if I build up enough courage to try Ubuntu again, would you recommend that I used Hardy Heron?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: General Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Earl-Grey View Post
    ...I would still like to get the most out of my hardware and maybe even Steam

My question is, is there an app out there that would give me control on my GPU, so I can turn it to eco mode or something? When I was looking into using Ubuntu for the first time, I think that Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron had my GPU Driver listed, so if I build up enough courage to try Ubuntu again, would you recommend that I used Hardy Heron?
    Depending on the age of your hardware - Xubuntu and Lubuntu may be good fits. You will want 12.04LTS or the latest release, so you have a secure up to date system.

I would offer Ubuntu Unity 12.04LTS is a solid smooth distro, and is supported through 2017

If you are working with older hardware, then Xubuntu and Lubuntu would be a good way to go - but Steam will not function well, if at all, on older hardware.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hardy's been end-of-life for a long time, so definitely not recommended.

You can check your system against Steam's requirements here.

Beans

Would help to answer GPU questions if you could post your make and model video chipset.
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.