Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Archive Manager? and Pidgin

Beans

Archive Manager? and Pidgin

Hi, Where is the Archive Manager location or do I have to install it if so how and also do i choose archive manager when asked where to install applications? Thanks
    Last edited by philinux; November 5th, 2013 at 02:19 PM. Reason: title edited

Beans

Archive Manager?

Hi, Where is the Archive Manager location or do I have to install it if so how and also do i choose archive manager when asked where to install applications? Thanks

PS: never mind I found the archive manager. the problem i am having is I cannot get a downloaded app to go into it, do I have to install a zip extracter first, if so is there one
    that you can direct me to and will I be then able to send and open an app from there? Thanks, sorry new at this!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Archive Manager?

I do not know which version of Ubuntu you are using. But in my version (Trusty Tahr) I type Archive in the dash and in a few seconds I get an icon that will let me launch the Archive Manager that was formally know as File Roller, I believe.

I have never been asked where to install applications. Ubuntu Software Centre takes care of that. Perhaps you are thinking about compressed packages that you have downloaded such as those with the .tar.gz extension.

These downloads usually go into the Downloads folder by default. I use File Manager to copy and paste them to a folder of my choice and I use file Manager to open the folder and I right click on the .tar.gz file and select Open with Archive Manager.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It's not exactly clear what you want.

If the archive manager doesn't open when you double-click an archive, you can open it with the command file-roller. It's located in /usr/bin/file-roller. It should be installed by default, but if it isn't, install the package file-roller. Use the software centre or the terminal.

If you're really sure you want to install something manually (that is, it's not in the repositories, there's no ppa and not even a .deb), I recommend you try to be smart and install it in /usr/local, with different parts going into /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/share, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You certainly are new to this. You have created two threads on the same subject. I have just replied to your earlier thread. We need a moderator to combine both threads.

You need to Open and browse to the folder where the .tar.gz file is and select the file to get it into Archive Manager. Which does a lot more than you think.

https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/file-roller/

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/File%20Roller

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FileCompression

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Merged
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; November 3rd, 2013 at 05:52 PM.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans

Sorry about the duplicate thread, I am using 12.04 and the archive manager is empty,. it seems no matter what I want to install it ask me what do I want to open it with and i dont know what to say? Right now I want to download yahoo messenger for linuix but the same window came up asking what to open it with, what should I say? Thank You

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Merged.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad] [Sub-forum]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The archive manager can open any archive you tell it to open and then shows what's inside – as long as it has a reasonably common format. It doesn't know anything about installing, however. The only thing it can do is unpack the archive where you instruct it to unpack.

What kind of file are you downloading? Are installation instructions included?

Beans

I am trying to install this exe>>> /home/tomsubt/Downloads/msgr11us.exe so I can use yahoo messenger on Pludgin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast