Thread: The shell is missing

Beans

The shell is missing

I have installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS version for my desk computer. It works fine. However, there are minor problems.

I live in Sweden. I want to write those Swedish characters. I can not write them. Even the semicolon and question mark characters are difficult to find.
    What is the problem.

I must go to the command line. The command line is not there. It is hidden somewhere on the system. How can I get it on to the surface.

Yesterday, I downloaded some software from Ubuntu Software Center. I can't see them. How can I get them on to the surface.

I guess if I can find the shell, it will be easy to solve the problem. Shell is not there. So I do not have access to the command line.
    Please help me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: The shell is missing

To get the shell, press ctrl-alt-t and Ubuntu should bring up a terminal window. Another way to bring up a terminal window is to go to the Dash and start to enter the name "terminal". The icon for the terminal should then appear. Once it is running you have to option of locking the icon to the launcher. Alternately, if you want the system console, press ctrl-alt-f1. Pressing ctrl-alt-f7 will bring you back to the GUI from the console.

Beans

Thank you very much Lars for the help.
    You have solved the problem.
    As I was terribly busy with work and gym training, I didn't find time write here to thanks for the help.
    I am sorry for the belated reply.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Glad it worked. There are a lot of shortcuts pre-programmed into the GUI.

Beans

Lars
    I guess you are in a Scandinavian country; because the name Lars sounds Nordic.
    I live in Sweden.
    Are you a Norwegian or a Dane?