Thread: hdmi sound and ati hd radeon 6000 graphics card

Beans

hdmi sound and ati hd radeon 6000 graphics card

I'm trying out the live CD version of Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS 64 bit and I noticed that the sound doesn't work. I have the HDMI cable plugged into the back of the monitor going to my ATI HD radeon 6000 series card (the monitor has built in speakers). When I open the sound menu, HDMI isn't listed as an option, just built in audio. I went to AMD's website and tried to download the file called 'amd-catalyst-13.11-beta6-linux-x86.x86_64.run'. It looks like a script file. It tried to open/install it with the program gedit, but it is really slow. Am I doing everything correct, or do I need to copy/paste the script file somewhere else? I hope downloading this driver works. The sound works fine when I boot back into Win 7 64 bit.

Beans

Re: hdmi sound and ati hd radeon 6000 graphics card

unsure if hdmi is supported as yet
    GOLDSHIRT9 was here

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

First thing to remember is that if you are running a live session of Ubuntu from a CD, you can't install the proprietary catalyst driver. Well - you can, it will be installed to volatile memory, but it requires a reboot which means that you lose it as soon as you do so. Also, if you do ever install Ubuntu permanently and you want the proprietary driver, it is better to install it from the package manager rather than download an installer from the AMD website, particularly a beta one. You are also going about installing a run file the wrong way, but that's all a bit moot at the moment. If you do install Ubuntu permanently, people here will be able to tell you how to install the proprietary driver with a couple of mouse clicks.

HDMI output is disabled by default in the open source radeon driver, which is what the live CD uses.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ra...ver#HDMI_Audio

Don't try the fix that is documented in the linked launchpad bug, the one that requires "radeon.audio=1" added to the boot options. That won't work with a live CD either. There is a different way of adding that boot option when you boot from a live CD, but it has to be done every time you boot. If you want to try that I can give you further details, but you might want to rethink what you want to achieve before I do. Running a live Ubuntu CD is only intended as a tryout or for using the live session for such things as maintenance/repair of installed operating systems, data rescue, temporary internet access, and the like. Using a live session for video output with hdmi is going to be clunky however you do it.

Have a think about all that and then get back to us to see what we can help you with.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

I downloaded Lubuntu, newest version and now I need to figure out how to get the sound from HDMI AMD ATI Radeon HD 6x series graphics card to work. Is there a software package I should download, or maybe download the linux catalyst driver from AMD's website?

Here is a generated report of my system it doesn't show the ATI Raedon HD graphics card for some reason, but it is a 6850, I think:

Processor 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz
    Memory 8141MB (598MB used)
    Operating System Ubuntu 13.10
    User Name jay (jay)
    Date/Time Sun 03 Nov 2013 01:49:16 PM PST
    Display
    Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
    OpenGL Renderer Unknown
    X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
    Multimedia
    Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
    Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
    Input Devices
    Power Button
    Power Button
    HID 04b4:0033
    Microsoft Microsoft® SiderWinderTM X6 Keyboard
    HDA Intel PCH Front Headphone
    HDA Intel PCH Line Out
    HDA Intel PCH Line
    HDA Intel PCH Rear Mic
    HDA Intel PCH Front Mic
    HD-Audio Generic HDMI/DP,pcm 3=
    Printers
    No printers found
    SCSI Disks
    HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH12LS38
    ATA ST500DM002-1BD14
    Operating System
    Version
    Kernel Linux 3.11.0-12-generic (x86_64)
    Compiled #19-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 9 16:20:46 UTC 2013
    C Library Unknown
    Default C Compiler Unknown
    Distribution Ubuntu 13.10

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jayclev View Post
    I downloaded Lubuntu, newest version and now I need to figure out how to get the sound from HDMI AMD ATI Radeon HD 6x series graphics card to work. Is there a software package I should download, or maybe download the linux catalyst driver from AMD's website?
    Did you read my post? Are you running Lubuntu live from a CD, or have you installed it? What applies to Ubuntu applies to Lubuntu in this regard.
    Last edited by coffeecat; November 3rd, 2013 at 11:06 PM.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Yes, I pulled the trigger and I'm now running Lubuntu from my HDD. I did try downloading from AMD's support site. Here is the file:

amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13-4-x86.x86_64.run

Under properties, the file is a shell script and the default program to run it is leafpad. When I try to install by double-clicking, it asks to execute or execute in terminal. When I choose execute, there is a pause, then a pop-up message says 'you need to run this installer as the super-user'. If I choose execute in terminal, another 'DOS'-like black and white pop-up window brings up the path of file with a flashing cursor. I guess that is where you would copy and paste the contents of the script? Not sure.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Since you've now settled on Lubuntu, I've added the Lubuntu prefix to this thread.

As I said before, you're better off installing the AMD proprietary driver from the Ubuntu repository, where it is ready packaged for the system. All it takes is a few mouse clicks. I'm not familiar with the Lubuntu desktop, and you don't say which version of Lubuntu, so here's a link which describes where you might find the GUI utility for installing proprietary drivers.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/19711...ers-on-lubuntu

Ignore the B43 driver at the beginning - that's a wireless driver - the additional drivers utility is for all types of proprietary driver. The latest entry there refers to the Other Software tab in Software and Updates, but I think that's wrong. Look for the Additional Drivers tab.

Beans

I'm using Lubuntu 13.10, but after some research, I think the problem is that I need to upgrade the linux kernel to 3.5 or higher. I've tried the other drivers but they didn't work.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Actually lubuntu 13.10 uses kernal 3.11 by defualt so I don't think that would solve the problem.