Thread: shutdown after WOL results in autostart

Beans

shutdown after WOL results in autostart

Hi there !

I have a very strange thing going on here and I hope someone can help.

When I wake my machine up using wake on lan, and then shut it down, it first goes down like a normal shutdown (leds and fans go off) but after a few seconds it automatically starts. If I shut it down again, it works and it stays off.

If I start the machine using wake on lan and do a reboot and then a shutdown it will also shutdown and stay off. If I start the machine manually and then shutdown it will also correctly shutdown and stay off.

It only restarts automatically after a shutdown if the machine was started using wake on lan and not rebooted afterwards.

Mainboard: MSI C847MS-E33 (latest bios)

In the bios under "wakeup event setup" I have set "wake up event by" to "bios". I have enabled "resume by PCI or PCI-E Device". All other events are disabled.

I am completely out of ideas with this one. If I wouldn't need the wake on lan functionality so badly, I would just turn it off and the problems were gone.

Would really appreciate any help ! I can post additional details or log files if requested.

- Masher

Beans

Lightbulb Re: shutdown after WOL results in autostart

OK, I just found the answer in another forum. It seems like the driver for the network card has problems with WOL. Installing this driver has fixed the problem for me. Found the hint in a german forum in this thread. Maybe that helps someone else with the same problem.

- Masher

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: shutdown after WOL results in autostart

Quote Originally Posted by Masher23 View Post
    OK, I just found the answer in another forum. It seems like the driver for the network card has problems with WOL. Installing this driver has fixed the problem for me. Found the hint in a german forum in this thread. Maybe that helps someone else with the same problem.

- Masher
    Glad you found the fix. Please mark this thread as "Solved" to help the next folks.
    PopularPages A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Beans

Cool Re: shutdown after WOL results in autostart

Oh yes, you are right.

Done. Thanks.

- Masher