Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 - Customize icon features

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04 - Customize icon features

Before Unity, I used to open Firefox, sign into Gmail and minimize it. I'd then surf using Chrome. When a new email came in, the minimized Firefox icon would show a number which would indicate the number of unread messages.

This doesn't happen in Unity (Ubuntu 12.04) and the only way I know there is a new message is by clicking the Firefox icon. I'm just wondering if there is a way to tweak the functionality of these icons a bit so that I can get this feature again?

Thank you

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Customize icon features

Hello. I'm not sure if these features exsist in Ubuntu 12.04, but you could just use thunderbird as an email client for gmail, which should send you notifications and display the unread message count in the launcher icon, if opened.
    If you don't like unity you can just install the GNOME desktop environment and it will be the same as it used to be while keeping all the same features.
    Also, both Firefox and chrome take up 100mb to 450mb of RAM, so you would be wasting a lot of RAM just because of an email notification.
    I would recommend looking into the alternatives, rather than running a separate browser window.