Thread: Wireless Driver Installation Problem

Beans

Question Wireless Driver Installation Problem

Hi,
    So, I'm trying to get my edimax wireless usb driver to install on my fresh Ubuntu 12.04 install, but it won't. It's a linux driver in tar.gz format. I've extracted it and followed MANY tutorials, but I am plagued with errors.

system specs go something like this:
    Pentium 4 socket 478 @ 3.0Ghz
    1GB DDR 2700 ram
    Nvidia FX 5700 (No driver installed? yet it functions fairly well)
    Shuttle board (not sure exactly what chipset, but it's old socket 478)

My big question is, is it really that I have to connect to the internet to solve a problem connecting to the internet? That is a problem and a half. I've downloaded SOME packages on my laptop that one tutorial said were necessary for the make commands, etc., but it appears they depend on packages that depend on packages and that's just a nightmare.

If there is an external link where I can download all of the packages/updates, burn them to a cd or put on a usb or something, that would be great. I REALLY don't want to have to download all the little things seperately and try and keep track of what I have and haven't downloaded

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Wireless Driver Installation Problem

Hi, welcome to the fora.

Which Edimax dongle are you using?

First of all I would recommend a fresh install of Lubuntu 13.10 using wired internet access. When that works we can take a look at the rest.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans

Re: Wireless Driver Installation Problem

I had the same problem it will drive you nuts...... 12.04 has a problem tryed all sorts form sudo do this and apt do that its not you its 12.04 ...I ended up doing a reinstall with 12.01 no more problems all fixed