Thread: Files shared with samba appear to be empty from Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Question Files shared with samba appear to be empty from Ubuntu 12.04

I'm trying to create a symlink to a Samba share so that I can work remotely on a rails app.

However all the files appear empty as seen in the cat command. I even tried opening with nautilus to connect (the normal way) and still all files appear empty when I open them with gedit. I have XP running in VirtualBox. I'm able to see/edit all the shared files/folders from the virtual XP (using SMB, not VBoxSharedFolderFS), but not from my host OS Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit!

Code:
    kaushik:~$ ln -s ~/.gvfs/_confidential_\ on\ macbookpro-4303/ _confidential_
    kaushik:~$ cd _confidential_
    kaushik:_confidential_$ cd my_subdir
    kaushik:my_subdir$ ls
    app  config  db  deploy  doc  dump.rdb  Gemfile  Gemfile.lock  integrations  lib  LICENSE  log  mobile  omnitmp  public  Rakefile  README  script  spec  test  tmp  vendor
    kaushik:my_subdir$ cat Gemfile
    kaushik:my_subdir$

Any help is appreciated coz I'm desperately looking for a solution. Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: Files shared with samba appear to be empty from Ubuntu 12.04

*bump*
    Help plz
    I was initially getting some error like application can't be found. But now they appear empty. Also tried accessing from a laptop with xp. The problem occurs only in my Ubuntu PC. Tried restarting ma machine several times but it was of no use. I'm clueless. Plz help. Thanks in advance

Beans

Hi,
    did you ever solve this? I have the same problem (files shared from a Mac, running Mountain Lion 10.8.5).
    Thanks!

Beans

Hi jens2,
    No I couldn't resolve it. I too used Mountain Lion 10.8.x by the way. My guess is that we need to setup Network File System and mount it on Ubuntu. Wasn't worth the effort so I thought I can just RDP my mac and work, or work on mac itself..!! Please share if you come across any other solution.
    Thanks!