Thread: Why do so many Linux users seem to hate Apple?

Beans

Why do so many Linux users seem to hate Apple?

Hi, Firstly if this topic is in the wrong section please move it, thanks.

I just wondered why so many Linux users seem to hate all things Apple? I've seen lots of negative comments about OS X, and infact all things Apple on different Linux forums. I'm not trying to stir the pot, I genuinely would like to know. Have Apple done something specific to upset the Linux community? I'm a long time windows user who recently made the switch to Mac. Today I'm going to install Ubuntu 13.10 on a dual boot on my Mac I know there's always going to be users who swear by a certain platform and consider anything else the spawn of satan lol. But it seems Apple have really upset a large part of the Linux community, what did they do?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.
    Chris.
    Last edited by mr.c.taylor79; November 19th, 2013 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Spelling

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Why do so many Linux users seem to hate Apple?

Good question.

Many Linux "enthusiasts" seem to get a vicarious thrill out of painting Linux as the underdog in some kind of heroic struggle against Evil Microsoft and Evil Apple, with themselves as loyal footsoldiers.

There's much ignorance of Apple and OS X in Linuxland because few Linux users have actually bought and used a Mac. You see this when people falsely assert that OS X is simply BSD with a spiffy window manager. There are even claims OS X is built on Linux.

A good part of the hostility is likely due to ideologically-fueled animosity toward anyone trying to make money.

Like Canonical, Apple abides by the licensing requirements of FOSS, but it isn't in lockstep with the cultural demands many in FOSS try to impose, beyond adherence to licenses. That offends those people.

And, Apple sells quality hardware at a healthy markup.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Actually, the Unity desktop is kind of "mac like" although the dock is on the left instead of the bottom
    And it has a top panel also and the search is similar as well...I had a mac after i left windows but before discovering linux and still have a fondness for it...so i was very glad when ubuntu went to the "mac-ish" unity desktop...

What i do like about linux and Ubuntu over the apple product is that i can install it on any windows computer (laptop or desktop) and don't have to buy a specific apple made computer to run the Os...and windows computers are so much less expensive...
    Last edited by craig10x; November 19th, 2013 at 05:13 PM.

Beans

Thanks for the replies Buzzingrobot and Craig10x. I've only had my mac mini for 3 months and so far I really like OS X, I like it much more than windows. Although I do have windows installed in a VM just for testing antivirus software. However, I really like Ubuntu too. I like the whole free OS and software concept and I am considering using Ubuntu as my main OS.

Beans
    Hidden!

Linux: free
    Apple: Slavery

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by leclerc65 View Post
    Linux: free
    Apple: Slavery
    A braindead comment like this could get the thread closed...