Thread: best emulators for ubuntu 12.04 and up?

Beans

best emulators for ubuntu 12.04 and up?

okay, so just looking for a few emulators to play my oldies on. ps1, ps2, gba, psp, game cube, snes, n64 and the like. what are my options for emulators!? specs appriciated, as i have about 5-6 rigs and laptops, from c-50 processors, to phenom ii's, low end to high end ati and nvidia cards and integrated's, and a few more i can frankenstien together. various specs in all. listing a general spec sheet for each to run at decent frames would be awesome too. and why you think its the best! i miss my old games!! most importantly legacy of kaine: soul reaver 2, and mario world yoshi's island.

i have seen a few options (i'm not blind lol), but i'd like to know from other users what THEY use.

thanks!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: best emulators for ubuntu 12.04 and up?

I use MAME for burgertime, space invaders, donkey kong, pacman etc.
    Huge fun and makes me refeel good old times...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i play NES/SNES emulator games and that's about it for emulators

Beans

Hello.

My arcade cab is currently based on a socket 754 Athlon 64 3200, one gig of ram and a Nvidia Geforce 6800 (it also worked fine withe a Geforce 5200)
    I can play all but the heavier mame games on this, i also have the Mess emulator, Daphne for the laserdisk games.
    There is also FS-uae for Amiga, Mupen64Plus for nintendo 64 (some games are a bit too much for this system)
    For the best result you might have to add some PPA's. (see this thread for some links: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/inde...tml#msg1220873)
    I am currently setting up a newer mainboard for my cab: a core 2 duo 8400 (@3.6 Gh) 4 gig of ram, and a Geforce 9500 and Lubuntu, which works better for the newer emulators and should last me for some years to come.
    Here is a link to my cab: https://picasaweb.google.com/1027458...eat=directlink

Have fun.

Beans
    Hidden!

These days I stick to the ZSNES (very easy to set up and run) and mupen64plus which is command line only (but a simple bash script makes launching a game a breeze once you get it figured out).

These run perfectly (for most games I want to play anyway) on my AMD 64 Athlon 1.8GHz, 2G RAM, with integrated NVidia GeForce 6150 LE.

Who's Awesome? You're Awesome.

Beans

awesome. some things to think about! thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by General_Faliure View Post
    Hello.

My arcade cab is currently based on a socket 754 Athlon 64 3200, one gig of ram and a Nvidia Geforce 6800 (it also worked fine withe a Geforce 5200)
    I can play all but the heavier mame games on this, i also have the Mess emulator, Daphne for the laserdisk games.
    There is also FS-uae for Amiga, Mupen64Plus for nintendo 64 (some games are a bit too much for this system)
    For the best result you might have to add some PPA's. (see this thread for some links: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/inde...tml#msg1220873)
    I am currently setting up a newer mainboard for my cab: a core 2 duo 8400 (@3.6 Gh) 4 gig of ram, and a Geforce 9500 and Lubuntu, which works better for the newer emulators and should last me for some years to come.
    Here is a link to my cab: https://picasaweb.google.com/1027458...eat=directlink

Have fun.
    this is amazing. please get back to me on how, why, and what this is! i would love to build my own, so, where would i start, and how. thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you have old playstation one games, PCSX is pretty good.
    Though, like any other emulator, it is only as good as the system it's running on.

Mupen64plus is good, though the version for 12.04 upgraded and they took away the default gui, so it uses the cli instead.
    There are some guis, but I've found none as good as what they had before.

I've also run Desmume for nintendoDS games, not too bad, though I've never gotten the mic to function right.

I'm sure there are a couple others I've used but these are the three I seem to use the most.

OOH, there's also visualboy advanced for gameboy games.

And of course dosbox, for your old school old school gaming.

So these are the few I run somewhat regularly
    Never ran mame or the like so don't know how well they run.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Moved to Emulators
    Last edited by QIII; November 3rd, 2013 at 07:10 AM.