Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I get my account here fixed?

Beans

How can I get my account here fixed?

I have no idea what's wrong. I had an SSO account, but not a forums account. It said to login with SSO, that's cool... but then it gave some error saying my usename, steven2 (which I did NOT choose), was already in use or didn't meet requirements. Well, then don't assign me a username that already belongs to someone or isn't valid!

I had to create a new fake account... here I am... it assigned me the name "wt12". So what's this thing do, just append a 2 to whatever the first part of your email is? My real email is steven@mydomain.com (so it gave me and 10000 other Steven's the same username?) and my fake account is wt1@mydomain.com.

I think you guys need to put a bit more thought into the registration system. I don't get to choose my username, it chooses for me... and apparently with very little logic and poor outcomes.

So how do I fix my real account? I don't want to use this one because I'll never remember the login.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: How can I get my account here fixed?

Thread moved from technical support area to Resolution Centre.

You don't appear to have read the SSO login sticky which is clearly linked from the pre-login notice. Many of your questions will be answered there. It's difficult to tell from what you say, but it's possible that you may have encountered a bug in the forum username generation. We would want to get that fixed but would need far more coherent information than you give about what went wrong.

I'll leave you to read the sticky, which will give you an opportunity to decide exactly what it is you want of us. I won't return to this thread for at least 24 hours, but it may be that another admin will take this up in the meantime.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Yeah, I read the sticky... thanks. (why's it always assumed that the guy posting's the idiot?)

Its your system, not mine. Sorry that I wasn't "coherent" enough for you... but obviously a dialogue has to start somewhere. I've given enough (and clear enough) info for you to at least ASK me something useful. You know... a help me help you help me.

Something's broke. Beats me what the heck it is. I've described the problem. If there's something SPECIFIC you need... do let me know. "RTFM" isn't a good answer when TFM doesn't apply.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Your post is just confusing.

So how do I fix my real account?
    Which real account? What is it's profile page? Or are you talking about the SSO account? If so, talk to them about it not us.

I think you guys need to put a bit more thought into the registration system. I don't get to choose my username, it chooses for me... and apparently with very little logic and poor outcomes.
    This unfortunately for all concerned is not actually anything to do with us. We just have to deal with the issues it creates for us.

This account has the name wt12 because the SSO plugin is designed to work from e-mail address if other information is withheld - wt1 already exists as an account hence the 2.

All we can do is try to help people with the issues they have.

If this is, as you say, the ONLY account you have on the forum then all we need do is change the username for you, in order to do that we need 3 alternatives to work with.

Beans

OK, well I'm really not sure how its confusing. But I'll try to explain again.

I've had an Ubuntu One account for a long time. That's been my only Ubuntu related account I've ever had. I've never used the forums (I don't think) or any other online Ubuntu service, if they exist. So when I came here to get help, it said I had to log in with SSO - which was entirely non obvious, but whatever, that's what the help's for. Seemed simple enough, so I did what it said. It *never* asked me to enter a username... just log in. Then IT assigned ME with a simplistic username based on my email, which is steven@mydomain.com (obviously I don't want to post it here for spambots to harvest)... it chose, "steven2". But then it warned me that the forum already had a "steven2" in use. Well no kidding... I'd imagine there's more than a couple "Steven"s on here, right? So is the extent of this auto-naming bot's abilities to append a "2" and then go no further? Can't I be Steven58 (if 57 Stevens came before me)? This system really can't count past 2? So if there was two other wt1's out there... I'd be screwed again? First guy gets his name, second guy gets name + 2... 3rd just can't play? I mean seriously, how ridiculous is that?

I even tried re-doing it with the same account but changing my "name" to XOERJFDSteven but it stuck with "steven2 is already in use"

Now, you ask me "which real account" and "what's the profile page"... how in the world can I answer that? If someone in the position to fix this needs the email I used, then by all means PM me on this account and I'll provide my email. But if I can't log in with it... I have no idea what the profile page is. Apparently its not "steven2" because that's been taken

There's no way this hasn't been an issue before. Anyone with a common first name in their email, or anyone using "info@" or "webmaster@" or anything like that won't be able to create an account. Is SSO's assumption that everyone in the world is using one email service so they must all have unique usernames?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Do you or do you not want your username here changed?

If you do - please supply 3 alternatives.

Beans

I also want to say, the info in the sticky is incorrect. It clearly states that the "Real name" part of the SSO account will be used to create the account, and only if that's blank will it be created based on the email. When I created THIS (fake/temporary) account... I put in a real name of "ABSteeve" to give it something unique, and filled the email as "wt1@mydomain.com". The fact it chose wt12 as my username shows the "real name" part is, at least for the time being, being ignored. Which also explains why my real account couldn't be fixed by changing my "real name" to something unique.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Do you or do you not want your username here changed?

If you do - please supply 3 alternatives.
    How would that achieve anything? No I don't want my username for this account changed. Why? Its not an account I want to use, as I already clearly explained. This is a temporary account that I'm using just to hopefully get things resolved. Its not associated with an email I'll use long-term. So changing it doesn't solve anything. I don't care what my username is... I'd be perfectly fine with "Steven2" or "Steven20322" or "bozothebutthead"... I really don't care. "WT12" is fine too... but this isn't my account. I can't log in with my account because it doesn't like the username IT ASSIGNS ME.

You mention a "them vs us" scenario, so who is "them" and how do I get "them" to fix this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

ABSteeve, is available, would you like us to change your user name to that?

Beans

Seriously?

You must not have read the post directly above.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast