Thread: Ubu 13.10 on Acer Iconia Tab with Auto On-Screen Keyboard

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ubu 13.10 on Acer Iconia Tab with Auto On-Screen Keyboard

I just installed Ubuntu 13.10 onto this Acer Iconia Tab we were not using here at work. All seems well and fine as far as that goes.

I would like to use it without its USB keyboard/dock. I can run the on-screen keyboard at will, but it would be preferable to have the on-screen keyboard auto-launch whenever a text field were selected.

Is that possible?
    "We're all in this together, kid." --H. Tuttle (a.k.a. H. Buttle)
    "Maybe it's a layer 8 problem." --thatguruguy
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubu 13.10 on Acer Iconia Tab with Auto On-Screen Keyboard

Is there any package that would pop up a keyboard any time a text field were selected?
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Perhaps some packages associated with the Ubuntu phone operating system?
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Can I add packages from Ubuntu Touch into the regular Ubuntu and get some of those functions (like an auto-keyboard) that way?

http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/install
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jamesisin View Post
    I just installed Ubuntu 13.10 onto this Acer Iconia Tab we were not using here at work. All seems well and fine as far as that goes.

I would like to use it without its USB keyboard/dock. I can run the on-screen keyboard at will, but it would be preferable to have the on-screen keyboard auto-launch whenever a text field were selected.

Is that possible?
    I know this is post is a little bit old however, I'm replying also for the sake of others looking for the answer to this question.

I manage to automatically show the on-screen keyboard when editing text fields on 10.13 following these steps:

-Click on the Ubuntu Dash icon (first on the top-left corner) and type "onboard" (without quotes) on the search box. Onboard is the name of the on-screen keyboard on Ubuntu.
    -Click on the Onboard icon (it's four squares, two white, one blue with a B and one orange with an O). That open the on-screen keyboard.
    -On the icons on the top right corner bar, nearby the clock, a new icon appears as four small squares. Click on it and select "Preferences"
    -On the "General" section, check the "Auto-show when editing text" check box. You could also change other preferences on this window. For instance, on the "Layout" section, you could change the keyboard style.
    -Click the "Close" button. Settings are applied and saved immediately, so there is no "Save" button.
    -It could ask to load Gnome accessibility components and that a log-out and log-in is necessary for having complete functionality. That's OK. Do as it says.
    -That's all!

Tested on a Toshiba u925t convertible ultrabook with touchscreen.
    Last edited by eduardorudas; December 25th, 2013 at 04:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks. What you say is mostly correct.

Pulling up the Dash (I use the Super or Windows key) I get two related items: Onboard and Onboard Settings. Since I see no "Preferences" in my Onboard menu (near the clock), I selected Onboard Settings from the Dash.

I checked the "Auto-show when editing text" box. This is pretty good but doesn't work if a terminal is selected. So I also checked the "Show floating icon when Onboard is hidden" box. Now it's much easier to call Onboard when I need a keyboard.

Of course, it doesn't adjust the screen and windows so I'll still be looking forward to what might come in 14.04 (ported from the mobile version).
    A High-Tech Blech!