Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Xubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Moving to Xubuntu

dito
    xubuntu is the only distro that I have found to work with kde and gnome programs without all the cluter of both desktops in the menu.
    if mr Linus Tovalds uses xfce it must have marrit.
    Last edited by leeper69; November 5th, 2013 at 05:40 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Confession

Quote Originally Posted by Cariboo1938 View Post
    Are there any difficulties to expect? Special precautions to consider? Minimal requirements to check? etc.
    Not really. But I will say this: make a plan before you start. Prepare to make one long install code line, which is what you will be installing after the kernel is in. Mine is a bit like this off the top of my head (but not conclusive):

Code:
    sudo apt-get install firefox thunderbird brasero vlc gimp synaptics xfce4 transmission kompozer audacity gcc getdeb pcmanfm
    ... and that is not conclusive. You need much less than this to get a working system. There are others things you are going want/need but this will get you up with a desktop, file manager and synaptics. You can take it from there and install things as you need them. but you will find things you might need to add as you go.

It can take a little time to tweak and research once you're up and running (this is mostly for things that you didn't realise you needed and will become obvious when you try do something that involves some background software, not a GUI app as such).

PS: In effect, you could probably get away with:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xfce4 synaptics pcmanfm firefox
    ... and do the rest from a desktop once all is happening. Good luck.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Just a fyi - we are looking at creating an xubuntu-core which you can install to pull in a basic core set. Though it is early days.

You can always check out what is going on from meeting logs - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Meetings

Beans

yeah xubuntu is great ive been using it in and off for years, right now it's on my notebook because 13.10 unity was a bit sluggish compared to 13.04.. but give it a few months and i might be back on unity again ,,,oops xubuntu has come along heaps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Moved to U, L and OS chat forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Bucky Ball, I remember your love for Xfce/Xubuntu from an earlier thread.

And all others who contributed to this thead feels like Xfce die-hards, just wanted to share this with you:

Debian Jessie is going for Xfce as default DE, till Aug 2014, when it will be debated at DebConf whether Gnome shall return !

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=...c912237e01c9b5
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bhattabhishek View Post
    Debian Jessie is going for Xfce as default DE, till Aug 2014, when it will be debated at DebConf whether Gnome shall return !

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=...c912237e01c9b5
    Hey, thanks for that. Will look into it as never tinkered with Debian OS (except this derivative).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Confession

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Not really. But I will say this: make a plan before you start. Prepare to make one long install code line, which is what you will be installing after the kernel is in. Mine is a bit like this off the top of my head (but not conclusive):

Code:
    sudo apt-get install firefox thunderbird brasero vlc gimp synaptics xfce4 transmission kompozer audacity gcc getdeb pcmanfm
    ... and that is not conclusive. You need much less than this to get a working system.
    Hi Bucky Ball,
    I wonder if it is the right place for me to continue asking one more question?
    The question would be:
    What is missing?
    After the base system was installed I started to install xfce4, firefox, vlc without any error message. After Restart I only get one large screen terminal with no Graphical User Interface.
    The File System is accessible, I can open bin, boot, cdrom, dev, etc, home and so forth but that's it.
    What is missing?
    Life is full of setbacks; Success is determined by how you handle them!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Try xorg, gdm, xterm, gksu. I have a more comprehensive list about but can't find for the moment ...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Just a fyi - we are looking at creating an xubuntu-core which you can install to pull in a basic core set. Though it is early days.

You can always check out what is going on from meeting logs - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Meetings
    And https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Road...y/xubuntu-core

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast