Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu on older system

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu on older system

Quote Originally Posted by Petro Dawg View Post
    You can choose at log-in, but if your specs are too low, it will automatically log you into 2D by default no matter what you choose. At least it did so on my computers that couldn't render 3D effects.
    What is your system specs using 2D, are you using Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS if so how you like the performance?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I have a Pentium4 2.8GHz, 2G RAM, and Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2 which cannot use the standard 3D effects due to the really bad graphics chip, but defaults to the 2D session with out an issue at all. I found the resources required by the 2D session is comparable to resources required by Xubuntu.

I use for my main rig, an AMD 64 Athlon 1.8GHz, 2G RAM, and Integrated NVidia GeForce 6150 LE that runs the normal 3D session fairly snappy without a problem at all. It seems as long as the graphics chip is supported the 3D session is fine.

From my experience, any computer that could run WinXP and has 2G RAM will be able to run Ubuntu 12.04 (or Ubuntu 2D) without a problem.

Last edited by Petro Dawg; November 2nd, 2013 at 12:41 AM.
    Who's Awesome? You're Awesome.

Beans

First, thanks DuckHook! You have no idea how many times I failed, tried about 6-8 different flavors before I found about about PAE. Once I got that, wireless just about made me want to slam it to the floor.
    I guess I picked a dinosaur to try my first ever Linux install!!!
    Any chance you can help with this?
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2185262

Anyhow...
    Dell Inspiron 8600 Specs:
    Intel Pentium M 1.4 GHz
    30gb HD
    2gb RAM
    Nvidia network
    Nvidia GE Force5200

it runs ubuntu ok, not the fastest but hard to tell the difference from lubuntu. At least for the simple tasks.
    It is for my 7 year old nephew, just to browse and learn mainly.
    Videos from youtube at full screen suck, so installed minitube, which works fine. This was another story as the one at the store does not work.
    Last edited by shabuboy; November 2nd, 2013 at 12:44 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

You can choose at log-in, but if your specs are too low, it will automatically log you into 2D by default no matter what you choose.
    In 12.04, you can force unity to start in 3D by adding the following to /etc/environment:
    Code:
    UNITY_FORCE_START=1
    ...but it is risky. If your chipset doesn't support the 3D effects, then sometimes your desktop won't load completely, icons or menus will be missing, or you get wonky behaviour later on that you can't pin down to anything in particular until you remember that you forced the issue. Even if it works, on marginal HW it runs like a pig with lipstick.

Unity 3D just wasn't meant for older equipment. I believe that Canonical made the decision to radically differentiate their offerings so that modern HW would run Ubuntu, Mastodons would run Xubuntu, and Dinosaurs would run Lubuntu. Overall, not a bad strategy, in my opinion.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for all the great information you all provided me! I will be doing my first Linux install this evening. I will post back soon with my results. You all rock!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Repeat. You do NOT have a choice of desktop environments. Lubuntu = lxde desktop environment + Ubuntu kernel + default Lubuntu apps.

If you do a minimal install, then you can choose everything; default DE, apps, etc ...

Good luck.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

From my experience, any computer that could run WinXP and has 2G RAM will be able to run Ubuntu 12.04 (or Ubuntu 2D) without a problem.
    This is largely true and I'm not disagreeing with you or with any of the others who have recommended Unity 2D. I guess my concern with this approach is that it's a dead end. Unity 2D will not take anyone past 12.04.x. I don't know if the upcoming 14.04 LTS will support it, but I doubt it. Canonical's strategy appears to be to position the Ubuntu flavour for the here-and-now and for current HW. They are positioning the other flavours for older HW. If so, then it makes more sense to transition to Xubuntu or Lubuntu now, so that the upgrade path exists and is relatively trouble-free. At least, that's my view of things anyways.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    This is largely true and I'm not disagreeing with you or with any of the others who have recommended Unity 2D. I guess my concern with this approach is that it's a dead end. Unity 2D will not take anyone past 12.04.x. I don't know if the upcoming 14.04 LTS will support it, but I doubt it. Canonical's strategy appears to be to position the Ubuntu flavour for the here-and-now and for current HW. They are positioning the other flavours for older HW. If so, then it makes more sense to transition to Xubuntu or Lubuntu now, so that the upgrade path exists and is relatively trouble-free. At least, that's my view of things anyways.

That is very true, and definitely something to consider if you want to go the "upgrade route" every so often. I never do upgrades, only fresh installs, so come end of life for 12.04LTS I will probably just switch to a lighter OS on my older computers if I still have them (hopefully my stock in computer hardware will be upgraded by then though).

I used Xubuntu for a long time, but when I got my wide screen monitor, I felt the Unity interface made more sense. Otherwise, Xubuntu is a great alternative OS.
    Who's Awesome? You're Awesome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

In my mind, the biggest hurdle to switching from regular Ubuntu to Xubuntu or Lubuntu is not getting the machine switched over, but getting the user switched over. I think as few as one apt-get command could have the XFCE and (if you want) the default Xubuntu applications and (if you want) the default Xubuntu configuration set up on your machine. (The same applies to LXDE and Lubuntu.) You wouldn't really even need to uninstall Unity or the heavier default Ubuntu apps; if you just stop using them, they won't burden your limited hardware.

E.g.,
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xfce4
    or
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    or
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xfce4 xubuntu-default-settings
    Meanwhile, the user would still need to get used to the layout of the different system and using the different default applications.
    Last edited by newb85; November 2nd, 2013 at 03:40 AM.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by newb85 View Post
    or
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    No! Why do people always give this advice??? This drags in ALL of Xubuntu, default apps, dependencies, the LOT. You DON'T want that, especially on an older machine that is already struggling for air. You ONLY want the desktop environment, xfce4, as suggested in the first command.

If you are going to install xubuntu-desktop, you may as well do a clean install of Xubuntu because you are basically doing one ON TOP of the existing Ubuntu install. BAD idea. Your menus will contain ALL default apps for both Ubuntu AND Xubuntu. You definitely don't need that clogging up an already struggling system.

Please peoples, if someone wants to try a different desktop environment, DON'T advise them to install *buntu-desktop anything. xfce4, lxde ... just the desktop environment. If they want to try a new DE, advising them to install *buntu-desktop to do it is the WRONG advice.

Rant complete. Thankyou. Carry on.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast