Thread: Addition of distro sub-forums

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Addition of distro sub-forums

As organized as the Ubuntu forums are, in my opinion, the search of posts can be very chaotic when dealing with multiple distros. A user may try and search for an issue for just one topic, but end up having to search through a sea of "related" posts dealing with other distros.

Is it at all possible to make sub-forums for each distro of Ubuntu? Not only would that make searching easier, it would draw in more people to use the site when all they have to do is click on their distros sub-forum instead of having to tag their post with their distros name.

Is this something that would be very hard to do? I'm not familiar with how forums work behind the scenes (coding/setting up) and am not aware at the work required to create sub-forums and move large amounts of posts.

Here is an example of what I am trying to describe (I suck at explaining things):

• Forum Community
      • Ubuntu
        • Kubuntu
        • Xubuntu
        • Edubuntu
        • Lubuntu

• Specialized Support

• Ubuntu
      • Kubuntu
      • Xubuntu
      • Edubuntu
      • Lubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Addition of distro sub-forums

Instead of complicating the forums structure, we use prefixes
    Last edited by Elfy; November 1st, 2013 at 10:12 AM.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Fredo_p View Post

Is it at all possible to make sub-forums for each distro of Ubuntu? Not only would that make searching easier, it would draw in more people to use the site when all they have to do is click on their distros sub-forum instead of having to tag their post with their distros name.

Is this something that would be very hard to do? I'm not familiar with how forums work behind the scenes (coding/setting up) and am not aware at the work required to create sub-forums and move large amounts of posts.
    It is fairly easy to setup new forums.

It isn't something we haven't thought about in the past though.

We felt, when we discussed it previously, that the layout we have would become too convoluted if we went further.

Threads with specific needs are catered for with prefixes - which do, if people use them, actually work well. I often search for Xubuntu.

Thanks for the comments and thoughts though - they are appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

One reason why I wouldn't be supportive of the idea of having more specific sub-forums for the official flavours of Ubuntu is that under the hood of the desktop environment, the variants are more or less the same, and the problems that people need help are often the same with the same solutions.

If you have a look around the forum you'll find many threads about issues that are not specific to the Ubuntu flavour that the OP is running. Examples would be partitioning problems, filesystem corruption, folder/partition permissions, UEFI booting, wireless driver problems, and so on. If someone wanted advice on re-organising their partition layout, for example, and posted in a Kubuntu sub-forum, many members who would be able to help might not see the thread because they don't use Kubuntu and therefore might not visit that sub-forum. With our present setup, so long as the person starting the thread uses a descriptive thread title, others not using that variant might still see the threads and be prepared to help.

You will notice that we already have specific sub-forums for two official variants: Ubuntu Studio and Mythbuntu. They were created long ago and are really special cases, originally intended for things unique to those two. However, if you look in those two sub-fora, you'll find threads about issues common to all Ubuntu variants – networking problems, video card drivers, for example – that might have done better in one of the more frequented sections. I think this would happen on a larger scale if we had Xubuntu, Kubuntu, and so on dedicated sub-forums, to the detriment of those seeking help.

I join Elfy in thanking you for your interest. If you have a suggestion for making the forum structure simpler, but which still reflects the varying needs of the forum membership, we'll be glad to hear it!
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.