Thread: Thunderbird using LOTS of processing power? Going inactive all the time.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thunderbird using LOTS of processing power? Going inactive all the time.

This is driving me nuts and it only happens every once every few months (updates maybe??) but when it does it happens all the time. Any ideas on how to make TB run a little better?

Beans

Re: Thunderbird using LOTS of processing power? Going inactive all the time.

Are you disconnected from the server for long periods of time? Do you have a lot of folders? Use IMAP? I find if I use a computer for the first time in a while, Thunderbird takes a very long time synchronizing its views of my folders with the content on the server. You'll see lots of "downloading" notices in the status bar on the bottom of the window. Other possibilities include misbehaving addons. A search for "thunderbird slow linux" brings up a lot of discussions. You might try compacting your folders as suggested in http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...f=39&t=2720489
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thanks for the reply there. The only thing that it might be (applicable to me based on what you mentioned as possible problems) would be that I haven't compacted in a while. I'll check that out and thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Not solved but for anyone wondering, compacting (which was the first thing tried thus far) didn't seem to fix the problem.