Thread: Old version of Flash player

Beans

Old version of Flash player

OK, after much research and hair pulling I've found why I can't get Flash Player to work. I'm running an old AMD Athlone 2800xp machine and apparently Flash does not get on with the cpu.
    I've downloaded Flash Player 9 from the Adobe archive but I really need someone to work me through how to uninstall the current Flash Player and then get this one installed.
    Sorry if I seem a bit thick but I'm very new to this (but really enjoying learning!).
    Thanking you,
    Toni.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Old version of Flash player

Sorry, but I would NOT recommend it at all, that version is too old and full of many vulnerabilities, it's totally unsafe to use.

Is it a CPU that doesn't support SSE2?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kostkon View Post
    Sorry, but I would NOT recommend it at all, that version is too old and full of many vulnerabilities, it's totally unsafe to use.

Is it a CPU that doesn't support SSE2?
    Yes! Is there any way around this?
    Cheers,
    Toni.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Toni_Vines View Post
    Yes! Is there any way around this?
    Cheers,
    Toni.
    Not really, other than upgrading your CPU or stop using Flash; 2nd option is easier..

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I think you can just plug in the binary where the automatically installed one is (/usr/something/mozilla/something/plugings/, don't know exactly), but it will be insecure. Keep flash disabled unless you really need it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I don't know if you are married to your browser, but you might want to try Google Chrome. Not Chromium since Pepper flash is not included in the non Google branded version. That may allow you to still use flash. You can get a .deb package from going to www.google.com and clicking the blue button on the upper right hand corner of the window. If you are married to using your current browser then you may have to learn to live without flash.

Good Luck,
    Justin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by merlyn2748 View Post
    I don't know if you are married to your browser, but you might want to try Google Chrome. Not Chromium since Pepper flash is not included in the non Google branded version. That may allow you to still use flash. You can get a .deb package from going to www.google.com and clicking the blue button on the upper right hand corner of the window. If you are married to using your current browser then you may have to learn to live without flash.

Good Luck,
    Justin
    It's not a browser problem.
    It's a flash needing SSE2 and the PC in question doesn't support it.
    Pepperflash won't help.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful