Thread: ways to convert Windows user to linux

Beans

Lightbulb ways to convert Windows user to linux

few years ago, i vented my frustation of how i keep fixing broken Winboxes(virus,missing file, etc....)
    and people unwillingness to use linux (since i deemed linux is more than enuff for their daily pc usage)

now that im a little more older, patient and perhaps slightly more sly
    i have used a few methods to convert people to linux, which im going to share.
    of course i would also like to know your method of doing so.
    hehehehe............

• Trojan OSs

as the name sugest, i installed light linux (xubuntu/mint due to similarity to Windows and aesthetically pleasing than lxde) complimentary on a reformated/fresh installed windows (with permission of course). i tell them linux is there for when they had enough of their lagging pc, emergencies, or just want a quick boot-to use for those quick session.

Converted people: frugal people and people strap for cash
    Failed attempt: people with cash and arent afraid to use it to buy latest system

• THE "MINE IS BETTER THAN YOURS AND IT IS FREE" / THE THUNDER STEAL (**** move, lolz) / also can be known as "LINUX DID IT" (for those of you who watched South park)

my all time favourite. whenever i meet friends who show of their pc (usualy Macfanboys/girls) how cool or awesome their new os update or new pc are, and how others pale compares to theirs, I drop them them the "linux had it for quite a while" and "have you got these features?", just to kick their pride down a notch or two. hahahaha

PROs: you feel better afterwards
    CONs: like masturbation, only make you feel good, make people think you are a ****, and does little to change their view of linux

• THE ULTIMATE PC TOOLS

Want X, linux can do, X. Example, want a micro, power saving, small footprint, reusable, stable "always-on" NAS/server/bt box/cloud storage/POS/HTPC/remote pc/ etc..... at a low cost, linux (with Raspberry pi / cubieboard / mk802 / old pc /etc... ) can do it. eversince those cheap low power SBC came out few years ago, i have been recomending it to my friends and family (mostly HTPC and NAS) and i encourage them by teaching them to set it up themself instead of me doing all the work.

• NOTHING I CAN DO, except LINUX excuse

this sort of last measure to any kind of problem with windows boxes. this is usualy more a multiple problem face by the user, like windows hdd breaks down, windows not supported, no similar software like in win 7 for xp/98, no money to buy or upgrade, etc....., and the easiest legal way is to use linux, then i would say that.
    i would encourage them to use it for a month or two, before exploring the alternative. and SURPRISE (sarcastically), most stay with linux.

how bout you guys, dou you guys have any special MO that u use?
    share it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: ways to convert Windows user to linux

That's easy, have them try out windows 8.

That is what caused me to switch from Windows to Ubuntu about a year ago and I am very happy that I did.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by The Spectre View Post
    That's easy, have them try out windows 8.
    So true. In my own town, I've wiped three Windows 8 installations. Had to disable UEFI on all of them (what a joke that is).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Welcome to the Recurring Discussions!
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

in mine they prefer downgrade.

Beans

I'm not big on "evangelizing" Linux like I once was, but I've been successful in the past when I just gave people a computer with Linux on it. I get a lot of old computers given to me by people, and when I find someone in need of a computer I offer one of my "refurbs" running Xubuntu or Debian or something. I think it's easier for people to accept a different OS that way, especially if they're getting a free PC (never look a gift horse in the mouth, or whatever).

This works especially well for kids, who have no rigid preconceptions about what a computer is supposed to be like.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I just ran into a situation where the person has pretty modest needs - email mostly and has an older machine with what looks like a failing hard disk. I reinstalled Windows 7 yet again - there was a blue screen that I couldn't remedy. I just have a feeling there's going to be another similar failure sooner rather than later. I gave him a CD with Mint 13 and showed him how to launch Firefox. His wifi adapter is plug 'n' play -- I oversaw that replacement a couple years ago. The only real downside is he has to enter his wifi password each time.

I had a somewhat similar situation a few months ago. P4 system with 1 GB. RAM. In that case I replaced the hard drive and installed Xubuntu. Put a firefox launcher on the desktop just like XP and did a couple 'click here' screencaps with arrows and labels printed on a couple sheets of paper. So far so good there. A great many people, especially older people don't require extensive capabilities from their machines. Email, Youtube, web browsing - that's about it. Perhaps an occasional letter for which Libre Office is more than adequate.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    I'm not big on "evangelizing" Linux like I once was, but I've been successful in the past when I just gave people a computer with Linux on it. I get a lot of old computers given to me by people, and when I find someone in need of a computer I offer one of my "refurbs" running Xubuntu or Debian or something. I think it's easier for people to accept a different OS that way, especially if they're getting a free PC (never look a gift horse in the mouth, or whatever).

This works especially well for kids, who have no rigid preconceptions about what a computer is supposed to be like.
    im not evangelizing Linux in anyway, its more a matter of presenting linux as a viable alternative to suitable users, especially those with little cash to spare, like public / non-profit. final decission is never with me, i'm just the guy who provide support (no matter what they choose) and consult them about their TCOs, productivity ,etc....
    I can only recommend linux if i see it will fit their needs. i never recommend linux for a PC gamer, media extensive producers, etc...
    i also belive that public money shouldnt be spent procuring unecessary (and costly) IT solutions, when cheaper TCOs solution exist. money that can be spent on other things that can improve community and/or their work environment/equipment

on a second note, this threadis going in a different direction than i hoped.lol

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by milkboy007 View Post
    im not evangelizing Linux in anyway, its more a matter of presenting linux as a viable alternative to suitable users, especially those with little cash to spare, like public / non-profit. final decission is never with me, i'm just the guy who provide support (no matter what they choose) and consult them about their TCOs, productivity ,etc....
    I can only recommend linux if i see it will fit their needs. i never recommend linux for a PC gamer, media extensive producers, etc...
    i also belive that public money shouldnt be spent procuring unecessary (and costly) IT solutions, when cheaper TCOs solution exist. money that can be spent on other things that can improve community and/or their work environment/equipment
    Yeah, I'm with ya. I've just reached a point where the phrase "converting Windows users" sounds a little creepy. But like you said, I think a lot of people aren't aware of the options and could probably benefit from being introduced to Linux and FOSS, so I'm all for that. I work in public sector IT, and I'm always pushing for the open source solutions. It doesn't often get traction, unfortunately.

on a second note, this threadis going in a different direction than i hoped.lol
    They tend to do that