Thread: Editing an audio file in Audacity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Editing an audio file in Audacity

Hello,

I have some very long audio files, some 12 hours long, that I need to edit in audacity; and the instructions are not clear about how to mark the area I want to keep, with the cursor.

It seems I can only move the cursor at the normal rate; and this is completely useless for a file that is 12 hours long.

Can anyone give me the scoop on how I can do this efficiently?

Thanks Hannibal
    I love it when a plan comes together. It keeps me "on the jazz."

Ubuntu 12.04 & Windows 7 on Dell Inspiron 5520 Quad-Core
    dual-boot system. 'Kill Bill!'

Beans

Re: Editing an audio file in Audacity

You should be able to drag with the mouse to define the section of a project you want to retain - same as selecting text. Then trim the rest off. I don't see here any limitations on the speed of dragging the mouse. The tooltip should help you find the trim button on the toolbar.

Beans

A bit more...
    If you want to cut out a section of the audio to use: select with mouse, listen, drag and adust the endpoints, listen again until you get it right. Then copy. Then, Open a new file (File >Open) and then paste. You can normalize you selection for optimum volume. Or incorporate other effects as needed (such as fade in and fade out). When done, export to a file name and format of your choice. You really need to study the manual to get all the options.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Use sox to cut the file into 2-hour pieces and then edit those. Audacity slows down with files longer than 2-hours due to the way it stripes the data over several files. You would need huge RAM and 8-core processor to get audacity to perform with those files. Even then, I don't think it is really the best tool for handling files that long. You could set up audacity to run its project files from a RAMdisk and that would speed it up significantly. But I agree, zooming into a file that large is a pain.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Post Re: Editing an audio file in Audacity

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    A bit more...
    If you want to cut out a section of the audio to use: select with mouse, listen, drag and adust the endpoints, listen again until you get it right. Then copy. Then, Open a new file (File >Open) and then paste. You can normalize you selection for optimum volume. Or incorporate other effects as needed (such as fade in and fade out). When done, export to a file name and format of your choice. You really need to study the manual to get all the options.
    How do I set the endpoints; since it appears I can't FF the cursor?

Thanks Hannibal
    I love it when a plan comes together. It keeps me "on the jazz."

Ubuntu 12.04 & Windows 7 on Dell Inspiron 5520 Quad-Core
    dual-boot system. 'Kill Bill!'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Try a smaller file. I think the file is just too big for audacity and it's zoom tool. Sometimes the keyboard shortcuts work better, but moving around a large file in audacity is a pain.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.