Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: [ubuntu] Macbook Pro 11,1 (2013 Haswell Retina)

Hybrid View

Beans

[ubuntu] Macbook Pro 11,1 (2013 Haswell Retina)

Creating this thread to start listing things that are working / not working so others don't have to scour the Internet to confirm things.

Doesn't work:

- Speakers
    - iSight
    - Suspend / Resume (resumes to black screen)

Works:

- Wifi
    - Keyboard backlight / LCD backlight function keys
    - Touchpad
    - Headphones
    - SD Card
    - Thunderbolt (for displayport)

Installation process very smooth, deleted all other partitions, created efi boot partition + ext4 partition, installed onto ext4 partition and everything* just works.

Make sure to add libata.force=noncq to your grub configuration, otherwise SSD will lock up from time to time.

Beans

Re: [ubuntu] Macbook Pro 11,1 (2013 Haswell Retina)

Have you noticed a different battery discharge rate on Ubuntu?

Thanks for posting your experiences!

Beans

Not an OSX person, so I can't speak to what the "normal" battery life in Mavericks is supposed to be. Based on my own experiences, after I added in a bunch of the kernel level powersaving options (whether they helped or not, have not determined yet), I generally tend to average around 6-8 hours on battery (i7 4558u).

My usual computer usage generally tends towards web browsing + 1-2 dev vm environments + local travis CI / testing. To be quite honest, I'm plugged in during the day at the office, and it lasts me from when I get home until I go to sleep, so I'm not too worried about battery.

Beans

Hey Conan,
    I just got my 15" RMBP with Retina yesterday and I am trying to install ubuntu in it. I didn't find an tutorial so I followed one for the previous model, and installed 13.04.

After the installation, I am able to use Refind to boot, but it then entered verbose mode, kept running and would never boot into Linux.

Anyway, I am just hoping if you can provide a simple instruction on what I should do to install Ubuntu(which version doesn't matter to me)

I read you post but I don't really understand the partition part. What do I need to do exactly in DiskUtility to create both the EFI partition and the ext4 partition?

Also, do I need Refind as the boot manager? Or is Grub working without any problem?

Thank you so much!

Beans

I tried again using 13.10.
    I select to boot into Ubuntu from Grub, it starts booting, and stopped at a blank purple screen, with fan running at highest speed.
    I shut it down after around 8 minutes.
    Any idea?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vic.jang View Post
    I tried again using 13.10.
    I select to boot into Ubuntu from Grub, it starts booting, and stopped at a blank purple screen, with fan running at highest speed.
    I shut it down after around 8 minutes.
    Any idea?
    Here's what I did:

1. Downloaded 13.10 NON-MAC iso.
    2. Put it onto flash drive via unetbootin.
    3. Boot up with option held at startup, and select the usb drive.
    4. Upon installer bootup, went into advanced section and deleted all partitions.
    5. Created an efi boot partition at 200mb. Installer should auto set the mount point on that partition to /boot/efi, but make sure.
    6. Created a normal ext4 partition mounted to /, for the system installation point.
    7. Continued on setup.

Again, not sure if this is generally the "accepted" way to do this, but everything works fine, and ubuntu boots into EFI mode.

Beans

Thanks for sharing you views. I want to buy Macbook and laptop. Please suggest me some online stores.
    Last edited by mörgæs; August 5th, 2014 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Removed link

Beans

Thanks for the reply, Conan!

I have two questions:
    1. Why did you use the NON-MAC iso instead of the Mac one?
    2. Do you still have the Mac OS and is able to dual boot? It seem to me that you only have Ubuntu on your MacBook Pro?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vic.jang View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Conan!

I have two questions:
    1. Why did you use the NON-MAC iso instead of the Mac one?
    2. Do you still have the Mac OS and is able to dual boot? It seem to me that you only have Ubuntu on your MacBook Pro?
    AFAIK (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the Mac iso is forced to boot in BIOS mode, since earlier versions of mac hardware will not boot a hybrid EFI / BIOS image. Since the end goal is to get Ubuntu running in EFI mode, it seems the new haswell machines can boot hybrid images, and therefore the normal iso will boot fine.

No, I do not have OSX running. I'm sure you can get dual boot working, but I have no desire to run OSX so it made more sense for me to just wipe it.

Beans

I just installed Ubuntu 13.10 on the new Macbook Pro 15 Retina/Haswell without any issues. I am using Refind. Wifi works, the keys for display brightness etc work. I will have to play around more to see what is missing. What I already noticed is that there is no sound and suspend does not work (see also the first posting). I hope to get the sound working soon.
    Last edited by kjano; November 2nd, 2013 at 12:16 AM.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast