Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: [ubuntu] Macbook Pro 11,1 (2013 Haswell Retina)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: [ubuntu] Macbook Pro 11,1 (2013 Haswell Retina)

Quote Originally Posted by neil-neilking View Post
    Macbook pro 11,3 here with Ubuntu 14.04 and suspend not woking like most others. Kjano or anyone, pleeeease tell us what magic is to be performed to get suspend working?
    In what way does yours not work? I seem to be the only one having the problem where closing the lid does nothing at all. Everyone else seems to have the problem where resuming just shows a black screen.
    Don't forget to give thanks and mark your thread as solved

Beans

Re: Kubuntu 13.10: Displayport with 2560x1440 works

HI,
    I have MacBookPro 11,1 and installed Ubuntu (64bit non-Mac ISO) as per the instruction given in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro11-1/Saucy and installed kubuntu-desktop.

I couldnt use the kubuntu ISO directly as it didnt boot automatically.

The problem im facing is, when I connect the external monitor im unable to position it. I connected using VGA/display connector cable.
    "System Settings" forgets the external monitor, when i try,
    1. to position the external monitor in the below screen OR
    2. to make the external monitor as primary display OR
    3. to clone the display OR
    4. to turn off the laptop display.

Hardware: MacBookPro 11,1 Intel Haswell
    Monitor: Samsung S24C350L, 23"
    -Pragalathan Msnapshot1.jpg
    P.S I tried with Unity also. im unable to turn off the laptop display. but able to make the external monitor as primary. but the font size is messed up in that case)

Beans

Surprisingly, my DELL U2412M 24" monitor works perfectly fine. Dont know how to fix the display for the above mentioned Samsung monitor. Any help is appreciated.

Beans

Thanks for sharing you views. I want to buy Macbook and laptop. Please suggest me some online stores.
    Last edited by mörgæs; August 5th, 2014 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Removed link

Beans

Hello Guys,

I bought a macbook pro 13 with intel iris pro yesterday, and similar to the rest of you guys, sleep did not work neither. I played around with it and here is what I found. It's a great machine in every sense, batter, sound, display, and keyboard. I did some debugging for suspend and here is what I found. In the older version of kernel there are couple of segmentation faults during sleep/resume process which are fixed in the latest version of kernel (I tried 3.16 rc6 and it was fine, no segfault). However, it was not completely ok though, but it did sleep properly and suspend with a delay of ~30-40 seconds. Other than that, nothing failed during sleep or resume, because I did check the log files and also tried s2ram which is being mentioned by the kernel documentation. However, keep in mind guys if you want the latest version of kernel. you need to compile wifi driver again and install the latest one(actually there is a patch that you should apply it, because one function is being called with one less argument that the header interface in newer kernels >= 3.15). Google for the driver, and find the git hub repository of driver and apply the patch or change it manually.

Anyway, I was happy with the machine, and after I got everything to work(sleep with delay though). I realized the extremely high resolution of this machine make it difficult to use apps on linux, and I needed eclipse because it's my main development IDE and I can't live without it! and technically speaking, I did not find any app except Firefox to support HIDPI! so I just returned the machine and waiting for better support of HIDPI.

P.S, I tried both unity and cinnamon (form Linux mint), and I found cinnamon does a better job in HIDPI than unity.

Beans

I have the same problem
    Last edited by Daniel_Evans; July 28th, 2014 at 01:22 AM. Reason: screw up

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rainwalker View Post
    In what way does yours not work? I seem to be the only one having the problem where closing the lid does nothing at all. Everyone else seems to have the problem where resuming just shows a black screen.
    It fails in the same way as many others. Seems to successfully go into sleep but resume results in a black screen (no backlight).

Beans

Guys,

The new kernel release(3.16-rc7) has this commet: "Hugh Dickins (6): drm/i915: fix freeze with blank screen booting highmem" I guess that's what was affecting macbooks as well. I don't have access to a macook any more. Can any one give it a shot?

Thanks,

Beans

I just installed Ubuntu 14.4 LTS on my new MacBook Pro 11,2 using the non-Mac download.

Everything works, except for suspend.

I followed the instructions and everything worked fine, but the first re-boot scared me:

After installing Ubuntu and doing the post-install configurations I rebooted. After grub, the screen went black. The keyboard backlight was still on but otherwise the computer seemed to be dead. I held down the power button until the computer turned off. I turned it on again and it booted just fine.
    Last edited by josf; September 9th, 2014 at 04:26 PM.

Beans

I have the same problem as josf (14.04, new MBP 11,2). Resume from suspend doesn't work, which is a serious issue.
    I also started a new thread about this (since it's a new version of MBP), but no one commented on it...

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast