Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: [ubuntu] Macbook Pro 11,1 (2013 Haswell Retina)

Beans

Re: [ubuntu] Macbook Pro 11,1 (2013 Haswell Retina)

Quote Originally Posted by oskar22m View Post
    My problem is that I've installed both Linux Mint and Ubuntu on my MacBookPro 11,3 but my laptop is really heating up . Is anybody else experiencing this problem ?

Thank you

Yeah there are a couple things you can do. Quick google search will tell you a bunch. Start here, install macfanctld:

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...buntu-macbook/

You can play with the config file to change the fan speeds and min and max temps. You can also use this to log temps which is pretty cool.

Beans

Is there anybody here that has successfully installed Ubuntu on a MacBook Pro 11,3 and fixed sound and suspend on it ?

If so, I would really appreciate if he could explain me as detaild as possible the way he did it. I'm struggling with this MacBook for the past week and can't go on like this anymore.

My problems with the installation are :

If I install Ubuntu 13.10 with grub, after reboot only MacOS boots. I've tried using efibootmgr but my EFI BootOrder is 0000 and not 0080 so I don't really know how to do this. On the other hand, if I install REFIND it detects my Ubuntu installation and let's me boot it but instead of showing me one Ubuntu boot option it shows me two. This is very annoying .

I've tried to put the computer to sleep but once I woke it up it only showed me a black screen.

I have also tried to install Ubuntu 13.10 MAC version but can't manage to boot to the new installed system without pressing e at GRUB and adding "nolapic" .
    Last edited by oskar22m; December 16th, 2013 at 04:09 AM.

Beans

If I install Ubuntu 13.10 with grub, after reboot only MacOS boots. I've tried using efibootmgr but my [COLOR=#333333]EFI BootOrder is 0000 and not 0080 so I don't really know how to do this. On the other hand, if I install REFIND it detects my Ubuntu installation and let's me boot it but instead of showing me one Ubuntu boot option it shows me two. This is very annoying .
    Install non-mac Ubuntu with GRUB and do the following after installation

Code:
    #mount your installation partition
    sudo mount /dev/sdaX /mnt 
    #bind important directories
    sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    #create a mountpoint for EFI partition and mount it
    sudo mkdir /mnt/efi
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/efi
    #chroot into installed Ubuntu
    sudo chroot /mnt /bin/bash
    #Edit your /etc/default/grub, if necessary add libata.force=noncq to kernel boot line right after "splash"
    nano /etc/default/grub
    #update grub
    update-grub
    #goto root dir
    cd /
    #create a directory named boot into you EFI partition (if not already there)
    mkdir /efi/EFI/boot
    #Create a standalone GRUB EFI image into the boot directory in EFI partition.
    grub-mkstandalone -o /efi/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi -d usr/lib/grub/x86_64-efi -O x86_64-efi -C xz boot/grub/grub.cfg
    #exit chroot
    exit
    #umount all
    sudo umount /mnt/*
    sudo umount /mnt
    What the above does is install GRUB into the EFI partition in the place Macbook looks for it during startup. You should now be able to boot Ubuntu when pressing alt at startup.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lichun1668 View Post
    I have added an entry in that page for MacBookPro 11,1 with Ubuntu 13.10. The direct link is

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro11-1/Saucy

The 15-inch Haswell retina MacBook Pros (11,2 and 11,3) seem to have a few problems specific to their hardware configuration. You 15-inch users may want to create a separate page to address those issues.
    thank you very much, everything is working for me now. Thanks also for putting all the information together, that should help a lot.

Beans

Thank you very much. I shall do this today and update here. Thanks again and merry christmas!

Beans

Thank you very much. I shall do this today and update here. Thanks again and merry christmas!
    I have the 11.3 and everything works great including sound, suspend, the laptop remains cool, etc. If you have specific problems, I am happy to give you a hand.

Beans

I just sent you a private message tried to explain my problem as details as possible. Thank you

Beans

Could someone please tell me what is it that I'm doing wrong here ? I have a macbook pro retina 11,3

1. I've downloaded Ubuntu 13.10 desktop 64 bit and not the MAC version.I've written it on a USB stick using the Ubuntu for Mac os tutorial with the "dd" command .
    2. I've used Disk Utility in Mac os X to shring my partition and provided 256 GB of free space for the Ubuntu installation.
    3. I've booted it by pressing ALT at boot. I've installed Ubuntu with grub Allongside Mac os .
    4. After this I rebooted and when I press ALT at boot only the Mac os X shows up and the Mac recovery HD .

After seeing that this is not working I tried again only this time I did step 1.,2. and 3. and did step 4. a little bit different:
    4. After insallation finished, I didn't reboot. I did
    sudo apt-get install efibootmgr
    sudo efibootmgr
    sudo efibootmgr -o 0

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo efibootmgr
    BootCurrent: 0000
    Timeout: 5 seconds
    BootOrder: 0000,0080
    Boot0000* ubuntu
    Boot0080* Mac OS X
    Boot0082*
    BootFFFF*
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

(I've also done different installations with sudo efibootmgr -o 0.80 and 0.82) and all ended up in Ubuntu not showing up at boot when I was pressing the ALT key.

On the other hand, I encounter some problems that I don't know what they mean and if this might be the cause.,

Every time I boot the live installation USB , if I try to open gparted in terminal , I see this error:
    The primary GPT table is corrupt, but the backup appears OK, so that will be used.

And, while I'm installing Ubuntu 13,10, when I get to the step where it asks me for Full name, Login user id, the COMPUTER NAME autofills with "oskar-MacBookPro-Invalid-entry-length-DMI-table-is-broken-Stop"

I've installed Ubuntu at least 1 few houndread times to know that this shouldn't be here but never done it on a Mac before.

I've also done at least 30 different Mac OS x complete reinstallations on this laptop the last week trying disperately to find a solution to this problem.

If I install ubuntu with REFIND then it shows up but I can't boot it up without the "nolapic" option .I don't like having only one procession so this isn't a solution for me.

I've also tried to install ubuntu without GRUB and that works out well for me but i can't add the "liberta.force=noncq" since I don't have a grub file.

Sorry for my bad english. It's not my first language.
    Last edited by oskar22m; December 19th, 2013 at 05:26 PM.

Beans

(I've also done different installations with sudo efibootmgr -o 0.80 and 0.82) and all ended up in Ubuntu not showing up at boot when I was pressing the ALT key.
    After you have fixed the EFI boot order information, there is no need to press the option key at startup. The system will boot the first in the EFI boot order, which is 'ubuntu' in your case. I have not see that GPT table error and strange autofilled computer name. Sounds something has been messed up.

Beans

Ok, so I tried something else that I think worked for some reason. I went on Mac os X and mounted the EFI boot partition and inside I deleted the folder Ubuntu and left only the folder called Apple. I then deleted all my previous linux partitions and freed up space and did another Ubuntu install. As soon as the install finished, I restarted and presto changeo my laptop boots in GRUB directly now. I added libata to my grub file to stop the ssd freezing and I'm updating my system as I'm writing this reply.

Question, About my GPT table error, how could I do a check on that and see if everything is OK now ? I still have a feeling that something might be broken. I've been trying to install Ubuntu like this for the past two weeks and this almost seems too good to be true, haha

This is the way my EFI boot order looks now:

oskar@oskar-MacBookPro:~$ sudo efibootmgr
    BootCurrent: 0000
    Timeout: 5 seconds
    BootOrder: 0000
    Boot0000* ubuntu
    Boot0080* Mac OS X
    Boot0082*
    BootFFFF*
    oskar@oskar-MacBookPro:~$

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast