Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: GNOME Classic & Flashback sessions

Beans

Re: Trusty GNOME Classic & Flashback sessions (Lubuntu problem)

Quote Originally Posted by stoneguy View Post
    Had the bright (?) idea of using Flashback as my desktop in a Lubuntu Trusty base. Appeared to have installed OK, but choosing Flashback No Effects at logon, ended up with a desktop with solid empty black panels (see att). Alt-T into a terminal got kbd operation, but nothing changed the panel contents.

Piggybacked onto Launchpad #1245209. Don't really care whether this gets fixed or disallowed. It was just another way to provide a lighter Trusty.
    Mixing desktop environments has become more and more problematic over the past few cycles

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Trusty GNOME Classic & Flashback sessions

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I was searching for something else and stumbled upon this:

https://wiki.gnome.org/GnomeFlashback

Really good info so I wanted to share it
    Interesting. And last edited an month ago. Software centre says of gnome-session-flashback - "doesn't have specific hardware requirements." Installing gnome-session-flashback also installs Metacity. Which I guess would make it kind of independent of what happens with LightDM/Compiz/Unity. Although I am curious about its reaction when it sits on top of full Mir. We wait and see.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Interesting. And last edited an month ago. Software centre says of gnome-session-flashback - "doesn't have specific hardware requirements." Installing gnome-session-flashback also installs Metacity. Which I guess would make it kind of independent of what happens with LightDM/Compiz/Unity. Although I am curious about its reaction when it sits on top of full Mir. We wait and see.

Regards.
    However , with gnome-session-flashback (with effects) one can still utilize Compiz/ccsm but there is some fanaggaling that has to be done. One cannot have Ubuntu-desktop (Unity 3D that is not supported by graphics adapter) and gnome-session-flashback (with effects) on the same machine where Unity 3D graphics is not supported. How I was able to solve some of this quagmire was to install (fvwm-crystal) desktop and use it as an intermediary desktop to try to attempt gnome-session-flashback desktop rips. It works sometimes . It has worked on Trusty and all prior releases.

There are also stability problems with this method and kernels that used to work on older machines are now outfitted that they shut them (previously working graphical adapters) out. I had thought that it would not be that time consuming to fork flip-back-wise so as to make the newer kernels backwards compatible with older graphics hardware and be able to insert a jockey routine to detect this so as a possible patch can be inserted from an array in the repositories for a lower version X session , or at least be provided while still running on the new release, hypothetically speaking of course. That would be real unity if that were pulled off.

Regards..
    Last edited by ventrical; November 23rd, 2013 at 11:04 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    However , with gnome-session-flashback (with effects) one can still utilize Compiz/ccsm but there is some fanaggaling that has to be done. One cannot have Ubuntu-desktop (Unity 3D that is not supported by graphics adapter) and gnome-session-flashback (with effects) on the same machine where Unity 3D graphics is not supported. How I was able to solve some of this quagmire was to install (fvwm-crystal) desktop and use it as an intermediary desktop to try to attempt gnome-session-flashback desktop rips. It works sometimes . It has worked on Trusty and all prior releases.

There are also stability problems with this method and kernels that used to work on older machines are now outfitted that they shut them (previously working graphical adapters) out. I had thought that it would not be that time consuming to fork flip-back-wise so as to make the newer kernels backwards compatible with older graphics hardware and be able to insert a jockey routine to detect this so as a possible patch can be inserted from an array in the repositories for a lower version X session , or at least be provided while still running on the new release, hypothetically speaking of course. That would be real unity if that were pulled off.

Regards..
    How ironic! From this latest install of Trusty I was only in Unity long enough to install everything I needed before going to gnome-flashback with effects. This time I didn't install gnome-flashback with Synaptic, I used apt-get in terminal. I remember it did not install a few things I forget now what the next thing I had to install but I remember gnome was not installed so I installed that and everything has been working fine. I have CCSM all setup and the cube rotating, etc.

I just checked and I do not have ubuntu-desktop installed. I think I did on my first install and maybe that is what messed it up. I don't know but from what you are saying that sounds probable.
    I have an Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT 1TB with the 331.20 driver which was updated from what was initially on here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post

Regards..
    I've personally never cared much for Compiz but I have found that getting it working somewhat properly is easier if I begin with an installation of Ubuntu GNOME and then install both 'gnome-panel' & 'compiz'.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    How ironic! From this latest install of Trusty I was only in Unity long enough to install everything I needed before going to gnome-flashback with effects. This time I didn't install gnome-flashback with Synaptic, I used apt-get in terminal. I remember it did not install a few things I forget now what the next thing I had to install but I remember gnome was not installed so I installed that and everything has been working fine. I have CCSM all setup and the cube rotating, etc.

I just checked and I do not have ubuntu-desktop installed. I think I did on my first install and maybe that is what messed it up. I don't know but from what you are saying that sounds probable.
    I have an Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT 1TB with the 331.20 driver which was updated from what was initially on here.
    I just can't belive this.. I have:

Code:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1)
    ventrical@ventrical-P4M266A-8237:~$
    which I could only get to work with Unity 2D in Precise. Yesterday I zsynced trusty daily i386 and then installed it on this old machine. For reasons unbeknownst to me I was able to get Unity 3D!! It was a little slow but I wanted to install gnome-session-fallback and i did so from terminal after first loading fvwm-crystal. Gnome-session (no-effects) is just snapping fast!!! on this old machine. The only bug is a white-out at start-up with Plymouth.. but after a few seconds it goes right to lightdm. gnome-session-flashback (with effects) is a little slow , probably because of the driver, but I think the convergence and hardware open-stack endeavour is underway!

Thanks for your advice. I think it may be unity that is slowing down the gmone-flashback (with effects) and I'll see if I can try your way.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I've personally never cared much for Compiz but I have found that getting it working somewhat properly is easier if I begin with an installation of Ubuntu GNOME and then install both 'gnome-panel' & 'compiz'.

I zsynced my trusty ubuntu daily and am running gnome-session (no effects) and it is super fast.

WOW! Absolutely awesome.

Like I say .. it takes some fanaggaling but mabey UbuntuGnome is the better way.
    Last edited by ventrical; November 24th, 2013 at 01:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Oh yeah .. this funny driver..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Running unity8 on top of gnome-session-flashback (no effects) . Should we not be able to do this ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Not sure what I have now. I opened that thread about getting an error insalling this kernel:
    Code:
    cavsfan@cavsfan-GTO-1969:~$ uname -a
    Linux cavsfan-GTO-1969 3.12.0-4-generic #10-Ubuntu SMP Thu Nov 21 22:07:26 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    I have no option to select which session to login to for either that kernel or the previous one. It goes straight to the last session which is flashback and have nothing but a blue screen with no wallpaper and the icons are all messed up.
    Might be re-install time. But, I'll play around with it first I guess.

Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast