Page 18 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: GNOME Classic & Flashback sessions

Beans

Re: Trusty GNOME Classic & Flashback sessions

Just thinking out loud here

Since the new GNOME Classic session is in no way related to the "Flashback" sessions I think I should rename this thread once again.

My thought is that the new GNOME Classic session is no more closely related to the "Flashback" sessions than MATE or Cinnamon. So I'm thinking of changing the name to "Trusty GNOME Flashback sessions".

To take things a step further, once again just thinking out loud, I wonder why we Flashback devotees are relying on GNOME dev in any way?

Consider this example (read the replies from Matthias Clasen):

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=695088

It's almost apparent that GNOME dev not only dropped internal support for 'gnome-panel' and 'metacity', but that they're more than willing to set up roadblocks to prevent Debian and Ubuntu dev from achieving that goal

So I'm thinking that we should move our entire movement away from GNOME and onto either Ubuntu or Debian resources .............. including the mailing list!

Please share your thoughts
    Last edited by kansasnoob; December 7th, 2013 at 07:48 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I thought gnome decided to drop fallback/flashback or whatever, as your link above discusses with 3.7, but then with gnome 3.8 they added it back in.

https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeFlashback

But the naming and the underlying tools have me totally confused.

All I really know is 12.04 with kansasnoob's directions for fallback and that has worked well for me.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    I thought gnome decided to drop fallback/flashback or whatever, as your link above discusses with 3.7, but then with gnome 3.8 they added it back in.

https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeFlashback

But the naming and the underlying tools have me totally confused.

All I really know is 12.04 with kansasnoob's directions for fallback and that has worked well for me.
    This might be helpful:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2185161

Basically Debian and Edubuntu want to keep it alive for LTSP installs, and development is ongoing - albeit somewhat slow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

How many of this thread readers are using flashback session with trusty? I would love if you could check something for me. Please open panel properties and try change all properties - orientation, size, expand, show hide buttons. Does it work for you?

P.S. Fallback mode is dropped from gnome as official part and it is not added back.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by albertsmuktupavels
    How many of this thread readers are using flashback session with trusty?
    I am trying to do this, I really am... but I'm having no luck at all getting Gnome-Compiz or Gnome-Metacity to play nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by albertsmuktupavels
    I would love if you could check something for me. Please open panel properties and try change all properties - orientation, size, expand, show hide buttons. Does it work for you?
    I, for one, can't even do that. My top panel is blank and no amount CTRL-ALT left/right mouse on the panel does anything.

I'm really forming the opinion that Gnome-dodo is just that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by albertsmuktupavels View Post
    How many of this thread readers are using flashback session with trusty? I would love if you could check something for me. Please open panel properties and try change all properties - orientation, size, expand, show hide buttons. Does it work for you?

P.S. Fallback mode is dropped from gnome as official part and it is not added back.
    I've been testing Flashback w/ Metacity in Trusty at least once daily, but things have been quite a mess lately. Not all of the mess is related only to the Flashback sessions however. In fact Lubuntu totally blew up on me

I typically use only a bottom panel so I created a top panel just for testing purposes, and I notice when I add hide buttons w/o arrows it looks OK, but when I add arrows to the buttons I just get a "white bar" directly below the panel:

top_panel_buttons.jpg

Rather off-topic but I'm sure you're aware of this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...l/+bug/1256961

Beans

BTW I'm posting in "bits-n-pieces" because Firefox frequently crashes, but that also happens in a standard 'gnome-shell' session so it's not a "flashback" only thing

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by albertsmuktupavels View Post

Top and bottom orientation work fine (in a metacity session), but left and right just display a blank white panel.

If I had my druthers we'd eliminate left/right orientation altogether

Beans

Still in a metacity session expand works fine, but increasing the size results in the same white border as adding arrows to the buttons.

Beans

Something I should perhaps mention is that the Saucy version of Hardware Sensors Indicator stopped appearing and working in Trusty, but I notice some updates coming for the 'sensors-applet' in Trusty-proposed so maybe at some point that will not be needed any longer.

Page 18 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast