Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: GNOME Classic & Flashback sessions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Trusty GNOME Classic & Flashback sessions

Wild thought:
    OK, GSF needs GS to be installed as a dependency for GSF-install. But You do not need it for DM to run, don't You?
    So, editing /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-screensaver.desktop, or renaming GS, making a symlink or similar is also a possibility...
    Editing /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-screensaver.desktop looks like a simplest way of all. Just one line to be edited.
    Take a look also in ~/.config/autostart ...
    It is better not to let GS to wake up, then to kill it...
    Last edited by zika; November 18th, 2013 at 07:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    Wild thought:
    OK, GSF needs GS to be installed as a dependency for GSF-install. But You do not need it for D to run, don't You? So, renaming it, making a symlink or similar is also a possibility...
    Another way that did work is Mc4man's method of editing the control file for GSF and removing the dependancy, saving the deb file and dpkging it. That worked for me on 13.10.
    It is also in the 13.10 work around link at the bottom of my previous post.
    But this is much easier and it works every time. Nothing else I've tried worked.
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Ubuntu 12.04 | 14.04 | 14.10 | Mint 13 | Mint 17 | Windows 7 | All 64 bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    Wild thought:
    OK, GSF needs GS to be installed as a dependency for GSF-install. But You do not need it for DM to run, don't You?
    So, editing /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-screensaver.desktop, or renaming GS, making a symlink or similar is also a possibility...
    Editing /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-screensaver.desktop looks like a simplest way of all. Just one line to be edited.
    Take a look also in ~/.config/autostart ...
    It is better not to let GS to wake up, then to kill it...
    I'm not quite sure I understand, but if GSF = the flashback session, and if GS = gnome-shell, then that's not quite true ATM

On my Trusty if I install 'gnome-panel' I get a working flashback (no effects) session w/o 'gnome-shell':

Code:
    Commit Log for Wed Oct 30 00:15:43 2013

Installed the following packages:
    alacarte (3.10.0-1)
    gir1.2-gconf-2.0 (3.2.6-0ubuntu1)
    gir1.2-panelapplet-4.0 (1:3.6.2-0ubuntu15)
    gnome-applets (3.5.92-0ubuntu3)
    gnome-applets-data (3.5.92-0ubuntu3)
    gnome-media (3.4.0-1ubuntu1)
    gnome-panel (1:3.6.2-0ubuntu15)
    gnome-panel-data (1:3.6.2-0ubuntu15)
    gnome-session-flashback (1:3.6.2-0ubuntu15)
    gstreamer0.10-gconf (0.10.31-3+nmu1ubuntu3)
    indicator-applet (12.10.2+13.10.20130924.2-0ubuntu1)
    indicator-applet-complete (12.10.2+13.10.20130924.2-0ubuntu1)
    libgnome-media-profiles-3.0-0 (3.0.0-1ubuntu1)
    libpanel-applet-4-0 (1:3.6.2-0ubuntu15)
    metacity (1:2.34.13-0ubuntu2)
    notification-daemon (0.7.6-1)
    shiki-colors-metacity-theme (4.6-1ubuntu2)
    Even installing 'gnome-tweak-tool' no longer installs 'gnome-shell':

Code:
    Commit Log for Sun Nov 10 12:08:56 2013

Installed the following packages:
    gir1.2-gdesktopenums-3.0 (3.8.0-1ubuntu1)
    gir1.2-gnomedesktop-3.0 (3.8.4-0ubuntu1)
    gnome-shell-common (3.8.4-0ubuntu5)
    gnome-tweak-tool (3.8.1-0ubuntu1)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    Since gnome-session-flashback is dependant on gnome-screensaver being installed there is no way to get a working screensaver (xscreensaver) in Saucy 13.10 or Trusty 14.04.
    I came up with a little work around that leaves gnome-screensaver installed while using xscreensaver.

I entered this in a text editor and saved it as killscreensaver in my home directory.
    PHP Code:
    #! /bin/bash
    sleep 60
    killall gnome
    -screensaver 
    Made it executable via sudo chmod +x /home/cavsfan/killscreensaver.
    Then added /home/cavsfan/killscreensaver to my startup applications as well as xscreensaver.

It seems to like 60 seconds. I tried 20 and less and that didn't work. But 60 seconds will work every time.

It is mentioned here.
    I personally wonder why anyone wants an actual screensaver running ATM

I disliked the change to just a blank screen initially but with few CRT monitors left in the world a blank screen makes sense to me now

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I'm not quite sure I understand, but if GSF = the flashback session, and if GS = gnome-shell, then that's not quite true ATM
    I'm sure that you have realised by now that GS = gnome-screensaver, not gnome-shell.

I agree with you that a blank screen now makes a lot more sense than a 'traditional' screensaver

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Alan F View Post
    I'm sure that you have realised by now that GS = gnome-screensaver, not gnome-shell.

I agree with you that a blank screen now makes a lot more sense than a 'traditional' screensaver
    No I didn't

If you google "thick" you'll find a link to "thick minded" with a picture of me

Beans
    Distro

I personally wonder why anyone wants an actual screensaver running ATM

I disliked the change to just a blank screen initially but with few CRT monitors left in the world a blank screen makes sense to me now
    You want no screensaver? Well I do and that is the only way to accomplish having Xscreensaver work.
    I tried killing gnome-screensaver via system monitor but it would re-spawn on it's own. I didn't want to have to do anything manually any way.

Besides it is not a blank screen, at least not on any of my installs. It displays date and time.

This works for those that wish to have a working screensaver.

Beans

You want no screensaver? Well I do and that is the only way to accomplish having Xscreensaver work.
    I tried killing gnome-screensaver via system monitor but it would re-spawn on it's own. I didn't want to have to do anything manually any way.

Besides it is not a blank screen, at least not on any of my installs. It displays date and time.

This works for those that wish to have a working screensaver.
    Just "wanting it" is a valid enough reason for me

So when I do this Trusty "retro" thread I will try to include a link to "how to enable xcreensaver"

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around how I should do this. ATM I'm thinking "bite-size" instead of a huge thing like this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370

Right now I'm still in "figuring out what to do" mode

Beans
    Distro

Just "wanting it" is a valid enough reason for me

So when I do this Trusty "retro" thread I will try to include a link to "how to enable xcreensaver"

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around how I should do this. ATM I'm thinking "bite-size" instead of a huge thing like this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370

Right now I'm still in "figuring out what to do" mode
    +1 on that there.
    I'm still puzzled by the lack of interest in having a working screensaver in Gnome Flashback. It seems fairly simple to remove the requirement for gnome-screensaver as a dependency of gnome-session-flashback.
    I opened this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2160563
    and mc4man showed me how to edit the deb file and remove the dependency and I'll admit I was pretty slow about understanding how to do it but, I did finally manage it. That is how my Saucy install is right now and it works well.
    Jeremy Bicha also mentioned on that thread that it wouldn't be that hard to do. But, since the fix was never put into production I just edited the deb file on Saucy after final release.

I just experimented with the script idea and that seemed like a more simple solution.
    Here is the bug with me and 2 others https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...l/+bug/1199074

Beans

+1 on that there.
    I'm still puzzled by the lack of interest in having a working screensaver in Gnome Flashback. It seems fairly simple to remove the requirement for gnome-screensaver as a dependency of gnome-session-flashback.
    I opened this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2160563
    and mc4man showed me how to edit the deb file and remove the dependency and I'll admit I was pretty slow about understanding how to do it but, I did finally manage it. That is how my Saucy install is right now and it works well.
    Jeremy Bicha also mentioned on that thread that it wouldn't be that hard to do. But, since the fix was never put into production I just edited the deb file on Saucy after final release.

I just experimented with the script idea and that seemed like a more simple solution.
    Here is the bug with me and 2 others https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...l/+bug/1199074
    I'm glad we're on the same page

While having a working screensaver is not important to me it is important to you. So I think I'll try and link to each individual "tweak" rather than lumping it all into one thread.

That should also make it easier for someone to wikify this.

Right now my biggest challenges are:

(a) Documenting the deprecation of gconf:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...4#post12850034

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...7#post12851127

(b) The renaming of sessions:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2185161

(c) What was (c) ............... oh yeah, my mind ain't so sharp

Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast