Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: GNOME Classic & Flashback sessions

Beans

Re:stuck on unity profile

First - something doesn't quite add up as you've described
    When in a flashback compiz session here & the profile is 'unity' then I get a unity launcher & no panel indicators, you don't seem to have that?

Anyway, the only way I found to switch back to Default profile other than doing in ccsm (though again here the switch back in ccsm sticks thru a log out/in

In ~/.local/share there are some files, delete -
    session_migration-gnome-fallback-compiz
    and for good measure -
    gsettings-data-convert

Then do a restart (because I had nothing else used sudo reboot in a terminal

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Trusty GNOME Classic & Flashback sessions

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Have you tried switching to Default, then delete the user file & do a normal log out/in?
    I just did and got the same results: Unity instead of Default.

Thanks for your help!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    I just did and got the same results: Unity instead of Default.

Thanks for your help!
    Did you try post 301?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Did you try post 301?
    No I missed that. Trying it now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: stuck on unity profile

First - something doesn't quite add up as you've described
    When in a flashback compiz session here & the profile is 'unity' then I get a unity launcher & no panel indicators, you don't seem to have that?

Anyway, the only way I found to switch back to Default profile other than doing in ccsm (though again here the switch back in ccsm sticks thru a log out/in

In ~/.local/share there are some files, delete -
    session_migration-gnome-fallback-compiz
    and for good measure -
    gsettings-data-convert

Then do a restart (because I had nothing else used sudo reboot in a terminal
    I tried deleting those files and restarted and same thing Preferences is Unity with no Unity laucher and no panel indicators. I cannot click on the top of any window to move it without Windows decoration being checked. Terminal I can drag around but there is no deco and CCSM is unmovable without deco.
    I cannot resize anything without window deco and the only way I can close windows is by clicking on it in the bottom bar and right clicking then close.

Here's a pic with terminal, desktop in nemo and CCSM open:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

I'm a little confused here guys

No where in any of my Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 with compiz flashback do I have the 'unity' showing in ccsm, is it possibly that you guys are running
    Ubuntu 14.04 'Unity' with compiz flashback.

A re-install of 14.04 Unity with compiz flashback (latest one dated 6th March) now doesn't have any of those issues, least ways I'm not getting them now

Should also mention a fresh install of Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 with compiz flashback is behaving way better too, tho not as good as with Unity installs

Only thing I did find out that having Gnome with Unity installed and with compiz flashback simiply doesnt work least not for me
    Last edited by Hazzabin; March 8th, 2014 at 12:15 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzabin View Post
    I'm a little confused here guys

No where in any of my Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 with compiz flashback do I have the 'unity' showing in ccsm, is it possibly that you guys are running
    Ubuntu 14.04 'Unity' with compiz flashback.

A re-install of 14.04 Unity with compiz flashback (latest one dated 6th March) now doesn't have any of those issues, least ways I'm not getting them now

Should also mention a fresh install of Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 with compiz flashback is behaving way better too, tho not as good as with Unity installs

Only thing I did find out that having Gnome with Unity installed and with compiz flashback simply doesn’t work least not for me
    That's what I'm thinking: a new install but think I'll hold out a little longer since I can make this one work with a little fiddling. The question is which one to install.
    Don't the blue lines in your reply contradict each other? Not sure if I go with the regular Ubuntu ISO and install flashback or the UbuntuGnome ISO and install flashback. I'm confused.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My early testing of Flashback in Trusty Tahr (not to be confused with Fallback) I learnt that in Ubuntu Gnome it is better to install Gnome Classic as it is a Gnome shell extension than to install gnome-session-flashback.

I also learnt that in Ubuntu+Unity it is best to install gnome-session-flashback and not the old gnome classic or Fallback. Or whatever you want to call it. The technology (software libraries) has moved on. What worked in 12.04 is not necessarily good for 14.04.

I also noticed that in Ubuntu+Unity+Flashback (with Compiz) that CCSM collides with Appearance settings and can mess things up with plain Ubuntu+Unity.

It seems that the delay in putting the app indicators in the top panel bug has been solved. At least on my machine as of yesterday.

As a side issue because of having the proposed repository enabled and the Unity 8 preview session installed I now have both the Standard network app indicator and the mobile app indicator and also the standard System Settings and the mobile System Settings. This is not much of a problem until we switch into Gnome Flashback with Compiz or with Metacity it makes no differences.

1) The network indicator icon does not appear in the top panel but Ubuntu still connects to the router and Internet.

2) The System Settings that loads from the menu structure is the mobile system settings.

There is a confusion due to having the same names but in Ubuntu+Unity this problem does not happen. It is something to watch out for as we move into U<code name> development cycle and further convergence.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; March 8th, 2014 at 06:56 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    My early testing of Flashback in Trusty Tahr (not to be confused with Fallback) I learnt that in Ubuntu Gnome it is better to install Gnome Classic as it is a Gnome shell extension than to install gnome-session-flashback.

I also learnt that in Ubuntu+Unity it is best to install gnome-session-flashback and not the old gnome classic or Fallback. Or whatever you want to call it. The technology (software libraries) has moved on. What worked in 12.04 is not necessarily good for 14.04.

I also noticed that in Ubuntu+Unity+Flashback (with Compiz) that CCSM collides with Appearance settings and can mess things up with plain Ubuntu+Unity.

It seems that the delay in putting the app indicators in the top panel bug has been solved. At least on my machine as of yesterday.

As a side issue because of having the proposed repository enabled and the Unity 8 preview session installed I now have both the Standard network app indicator and the mobile app indicator and also the standard System Settings and the mobile System Settings. This is not much of a problem until we switch into Gnome Flashback with Compiz or with Metacity it makes no differences.

1) The network indicator icon does not appear in the top panel but Ubuntu still connects to the router and Internet.

2) The System Settings that loads from the menu structure is the mobile system settings.

There is a confusion due to having the same names but in Ubuntu+Unity this problem does not happen. It is something to watch out for as we move into U<code name> development cycle and further convergence.

Regards.
    Thanks for the reply. I gave up and am downloading a new Ubuntu ISO. I already backed everything up so just have to wait for the DVD to finish formatting and the download to complete.
    This is an install from January 9th I have and it's probably time to get a fresh copy anyway. I'm currently in Precise (what I consider my main install) and am loving it!

Compiz had the burn deco and the beam me up deco. I'm going to miss those. But I will hang on until the very end.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post

Regards.
    Got it going pretty smooth at this point. I installed the Ubuntu+Unity ISO and am getting ready to install gnome-session-flashback all by itself as you mentioned. I'd like to give Unity more of a chance but I cannot get the buttons to move to the right as I am used to. I keep pressing the wrong window buttons. Here goes..... What could go wrong right?

Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast