Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Video bad and no sync with audio

TenPlus1 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Video bad and no sync with audio

Sododus: I recommended Xubuntu for the Parole media player which uses gstreamer codecs instead of Lubuntu's mplayer2 arrangement because that's what was causing the sync problem for Olli, also having vlc player as a backup doesn't hurt...

Beans
    Hidden!

Good, if you know that Mplayer2 is the problem, it is worth trying Parole. (I might have misunderstood Olli's posts.)

Beans

We'll this morning after several weeks of trial-error I got the videos working roughly at the same quality as under Win7. No difference if I was on Unity side or xfce side. I was happy.

Then I restarted the computer and I am again at point A. Videos do not run, audio is cracking. Time runs at double speed even if I have time set as normal (2 places). I am not qualified to understand this - too many variables and maybe Linus/applications instabilities. Besides there are:
    video codecs
    audio codecs
    audio pulse or alsa and whatever
    video gl, x11 and whatever
    video sync 2 different to select
    demuxer??
    deinterlace, rendering and whatever ****.

This is beyond me, I give up.

Thanks for help.

Beans

Hello guys, only now noticed your comments. Have tried Parole before, no good. And cannot get VLC-player working. Can install it allright but when I launch the media nothing happens, VLC disappiers, probably crashes.
    In my opinion MPlayer2 is the most promising for my case.

Beans
    Hidden!

Your system might have worked before reboot, because the data was in RAM (fast memory). I think you have too little horsepower in the cpu and gpu to run high definition graphics.

One possibility is to reduce the resolution and or bitrate of the video. Some video encodings are easier to play (take less cpu or gpu power). This can be done with several tools, for example ffmpeg. There are also GUI tools if you prefer that, for example openshot or avidemux.

If you want to continue along such routes, you can get more details from several other people. It might be worthwhile starting a new thread with a good descriptive title in the sub-forum Multimedia & Video in order to catch the attention of the multimedia gurus.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I think you're just running up against the limitations of the hardware. When I bought an ASUS EEEpc I specifically chose the 1201N because it had an NVIDIA ION adapter that runs VDPAU. The standard Intel card in Atom netbooks just isn't up to snuff.

That said, your performance is going to depend markedly on the types of media you watch. H.264-encoded content is so highly compressed that little Atoms cannot expand the material fast enough to keep up. Hi10P content is entirely out. I doubt you'll be able to watch much past 720p either. Older MPEG4 material like DivX/XviD in the AVI container should pose many fewer problems.

By the way, smplayer+mplayer2 has been my standard video platform since the latter forked from original mplayer project.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Under Win7 I could run most videos without problems, except .MOV, which was outside the envelope.

Thanks and bye, was interesting.

TenPlus1 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Out of curiosity, reboot and hold down SHIFT key to enter grub boot menu and select the MemoryTest option to make sure your laptop memory is ok... The fact that VLC crashes while launching and glitches in movie playback may also be due to a failing memory stick...

Beans

Thanks for advise. I did this Grub memory test, ok. I don't run or install VLC with memory stick but from net.
    I got videos running satisfactorily under Unity, restarted the computer and nothing works. The same as I reported above. And the time runs very fast, again in SMPlayer. Video bad, audio bad.
    What creates this instability?
    Any ideas?

Beans

Hello, thanks for help. I think I know the source of the problem.

The problem:
    - might get all running well, but when I restart computer, video goes in slow steps and sound is cracking or no sound, no sync video-audio
    - time runs at double speed after computer restart.

The reason is Rhytmbox. I deleted it and now have SMPlayer + Mplayer2 running in Unity in a consistent way. When I shut down and restart, all is like I left it. Minor problem with video-audio sync remains. The sync adjustments at SMPlayer do not help much.
    Videos with about 1300*700 .avi run in window in a tolerable way.

My installation: ASUS eeePC 1101ha, Atom processor, 2 GB RAM + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS + Unity. When I switch over to Xfce-desktop, the videos might run slightly faster there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast