Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Video bad and no sync with audio

Hybrid View

Beans

Video bad and no sync with audio

Have ASUS eee PC 1101HA with Atom processor, with GMA500 display driver, Ubuntu 12.04.

When running HD-videos, MP4, MOV, AVI, the sound runs much faster than video. From case to case the video runs smoothly but not in sync, or on some videos updates the picture once in 10 sec with sound cracking or then it might be anything in between. Cannot find any consistent behavior. Am using Gnome MPlayer, which seems to be the least bad of the gang. VLC player does not work, Movie player is no better. Somebody proposed Pixielive. Anything there?

Now to wake you up: in Windows 7 sound and picture were always in sync. Might happen that driver could not keep pace and the picture fragmented, but mostly all videos ran ok. Now is Ubuntu so much worse?

Except video, all else runs fine, even USB download is over 20 MB/sec (or Mb/sec), in WIN7 10. WIN7 was terribly slow in most areas.

TenPlus1 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Video bad and no sync with audio

First the Asus netbook isn't the fastest available and is sorta built for battery life over power, second the GMA500 graphics on linux isn't the best out there whereas your Windows7 has the actual driver which can decode HD movies a little better than linux's own driver... Try using something like VLC to play your videos with Hardware Acceleration enabled to see if that helps, and definitely update to Xubuntu 13.10 to gain the latest driver base for your device which will help a lot...

Beans

Thanks. Maybe the difference in driver quality Ubuntu vs Win7, as you said is the the root of slowness. I find it appalling that most applications do not care to sync audio and picture automatically (like Gnome Mplayer). Mplayer2 does.

I need Libre Office, that is why stick to Ubuntu. Could Ubuntu 13.10 be any better driverwise?

And VLC player does not work at all. When I start it, nothing happens. Crash?
    Last edited by olli-sylvanne; November 1st, 2013 at 03:19 AM.

Beans

Hi olli-sylvanne,

You have Lubuntu in the prefix, write Ubuntu in the text and TenPlus1 suggests Xubuntu.

Unfortunately the free graphics drivers for linux are not as well optimized as the Windows drivers. This can be compensated using a desktop environment with a small foot-print. Lubuntu is the lightest of the Ubuntu flavours. Xubuntu is medium-light. Unity and KDE are fancy but the foot-print is big, they need a lot of horsepower and memory to run well.

You can also improve playing video using a lighter or more efficient video player. mplayer2 runs well for me.

If you are playing your own videos (from your own camera), it is possible to make a copy with lower resolution (width x height) with for example ffmpeg, to get a resolution that works well in your computer. Keep the original video clips, because your next computer might be able to play them in full HD

Beans

Libre Office is independent of desktop environments, so you can run it in Lubuntu and Xubuntu. You need not run Ubuntu with Unity, if that desktop environment needs more horsepower than what is in your computer. Instead you can backup your system or at least your personal files and

- install Lubuntu or Xubuntu and install Libre Office into that operating system

- install a light desktop environment into Ubuntu and select it at the login screen. Click on the round symbol near the window where to enter the password to select 'session' alias desktop environment!

Code:
     sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop
    or
    Code:
     sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    or if you only want to desktop environment (without the full Lubuntu or Xubuntu specific software and tweaks)

Code:
     sudo apt-get install lxde
    Code:
     sudo apt-get install xfce4
    -o-

Maybe it helps to remove and [re]install VLC. But if mplayer2 works well, isn't that enough?

Beans

Thank you very much for advise. I'll try one of these desktops.

I am no expert, may be in error, but have tested very many video players. Most do not sync audio and video. Installed VLC many times, does not work. Mplayer2 works best for me, syncs every time, but repetition rate is often 1/sec or similar. With WIN7 it was totally different, most videos ran smoothly.

As I said before, otherwise Ubuntu is superior. F-keys do not work, no big issue, but this hypernition or whatever works ok.

What about the next version after 12.04, worthwile trying?

Beans

You can easily try other versions live (booted from a USB drive, without installing anything). I would not install it without trying it first. In that case I would try the new Lubuntu 13.10 i386 iso file.

But I think Xubuntu 12.04 LTS, Precise Gnome Classic Tweaks, LXLE or Bodhi Linux (all based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS) are the best alternatives. (Lubuntu 12.04 has passed end of life, because it had no long time support (LTS).)

Beans

Hello again

Ran this command line:
    sudo apt-get install xfce4

A lot of download and installation occured then, but there is no xfce4, only the old desktop (did restart several times). I also lost MPlayer2 and there is now Mplayer.

Have I missed something, like some other terminal command?

Would you have time for another piece of advixe?

Beans

Hello again
    Now got the xfce4 up and running. Thanks. The problem was that at start-up I have no log-in. Had to switch user to come to this roundel.

Multimedia with SMPlayer and Mplayer no better than before. Next install Mplayer2, the I'll see. Anybody interested?

Beans

Did you manage to install mplayer2? And how is it working now?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast