Thread: PHP not obeying error_log setting in 12.04, logging to Apache error log instead

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

PHP not obeying error_log setting in 12.04, logging to Apache error log instead

I bumped into an odd thing with the PHP that ships in Ubuntu Server 12.04.

Previously I had found that PHP will dump errors to the remote web browser, which I reconfigured to log to the server instead. In Apache's .htaccess for a VirtualSite, I set PHP to write error_log thusly:

Code:
    # .htaccess

# PHP 5, Apache 1 and 2.
    <IfModule mod_php5.c>
      #Adjusted error handling per http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/php-howto-turn-on-error-log-file.html
      #And also https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apache2/+bug/512167  #3 comment
      php_value display_errors                  Off
      php_value error_log                       /var/log/php5/serverhostname.php_error.log
      php_value log_errors                      On
    </IfModule>
    Like I said, the errors end up in the Apache VirtualSite error log file, not the one I custom specify in the .htaccess file.

Other settings are within this IfModule block and are set correctly when reviewing phpinfo, so I know the IfModule was traversed successfully.

Suggestions as to what happened in the PHP version that ships with Ubuntu 12.04? TIA!
    Michael Lueck

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: PHP not obeying error_log setting in 12.04, logging to Apache error log instead

By default, .htaccess is disabled in 12.04. In /etc/apache2/sites-available/default, replace "AllowOverride None" with "AllowOverride All" and restart Apache.

Also, the standard keyword for binary switches is "php_flag" while "php_value" is used for strings. Try changing the directive to php_flag for "display_errors" and "log_errors".
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; November 1st, 2013 at 03:47 PM.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro

Re: PHP not obeying error_log setting in 12.04, logging to Apache error log instead

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    By default, .htaccess is disabled in 12.04.
    Good suggestion, SeijiSensei.

I actually transfered the Apache configs from the prior server, so indeed have:

Code:
    	<Directory />
    		Options FollowSymLinks -MultiViews
    		AllowOverride All
    	</Directory>
    in the configuration already.

Like I said, I am sure that the <IfModule mod_php5.c> block is being traversed as other settings show up as customized in phpinfo.

I suspect that between 10.04 and 12.04, a change was made to Hardened PHP that errors get logged to the Apache Error log... I just would feel more comfortable with some documentation to back up the suspected change.
    Michael Lueck

Beans
    Distro

Also, the standard keyword for binary switches is "php_flag" while "php_value" is used for strings. Try changing the directive to php_flag for "display_errors" and "log_errors".
    Oops, I forgot to test this one...

Code:
    <IfModule mod_php5.c>
      #Adjusted error handling per http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/php-howto-turn-on-error-log-file.html
      #And also https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apache2/+bug/512167  #3 comment
      php_flag display_errors                   Off
      #Now these PHP errors get logged automatically to the Apache error log
      php_value error_log                       /var/log/php5/cirweb01.php_error.log
      php_flag log_errors                       On
    </IfModule>
    Restarted the Apache service. Still same behavior... logs to the Apache error log for the virtual site.

Thank you for pointing out the subtle difference!
    Michael Lueck

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have no idea what "Hardened PHP" is, but it sounds like it doesn't obey the defaults.

What appears in /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini and /etc/php5/apache/conf.d/? These files control the default PHP configuration.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro

I have no idea what "Hardened PHP" is, but it sounds like it doesn't obey the defaults.
    Just the standard PHP being distributed by Ubuntu... PHPInfo includes this banner text:

This server is protected with the Suhosin Patch 0.9.10
    Copyright (c) 2006-2007 Hardened-PHP Project Copyright (c) 2007-2009 SektionEins GmbH

What appears in /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini
    I have made no changes to that master file, so that is default as comes with Ubuntu 12.04. Rather lengthy, so not posting the entire file.

and /etc/php5/apache/conf.d/? These files control the default PHP configuration.
    Defaults here as well:

$ ls -al /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Sep 4 16:14 /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d -> ../conf.d

$ ls -al /etc/php5/conf.d/
    total 28
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 121 Oct 29 16:05 .
    drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 43 Oct 29 15:56 ..
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 50 Sep 4 16:14 gd.ini
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 58 Feb 22 2011 mcrypt.ini
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 57 Sep 4 16:14 mysqli.ini
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 56 Sep 4 16:14 mysql.ini
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 52 Sep 4 16:14 pdo.ini
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 60 Sep 4 16:14 pdo_mysql.ini
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3399 Feb 11 2012 suhosin.ini

I prefer, since servers are multi-site, to make specific changes needed in each virtual site and leave the distro defaults alone. YMMV.
    Michael Lueck