Thread: picture.png.part is driving me crazy

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Angry picture.png.part is driving me crazy

Hi,

I installed openssh-server, because I did not manage to get vsftpd to run. I just want to upload some pictures to a web site.

I tried the scp commands, but I ran into trouble. It looked as if I was always mistyping my password (and I'm positive I wasn't).

So I decided to use Konqueror. Only for this, I needed an ftp program.

With openssh-server, Konqueror can see the files, and some got uploaded. I have 2 windows of Konqueror opened, and I just drag and drop what I want to put on the server. But some pictures just don't get through.

The most irritating thing, is that it looks as though the picture is getting through. I wait for the countdown to finish. (I have a slow connection). And only then, I get a message saying it could not be done. Instead of getting "picture.png" I get "picture.png.part" on the server.

The directory is wide opened (chmod 777), there is plenty of space on the server... Why, oh why, can I only get these .part to upload?

I tried to rename them, removing the ".part", but it does not work. They get nearly nearly there, but not quite. For example, one picture is 932K and the corresponding ".part" is 932K. So if there is a bit missing, it really cannot be a large chunk...
    Last edited by Mariane; October 29th, 2013 at 08:43 PM.
    The result of the "make" command:
    - Sitting bored in front of a computer
    - Watching abstruse output scrolling upwards too fast to be read
    - And waiting for something to go wrong

Beans

Re: picture.png.part is driving me crazy

Are you remembering to change the ftp mode to binary? I think you can see that kind of behavior if you try to ftp pngs as ascii

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Mariane: I can recommend FireFTP. Just install this Firefox extension, configure your account details and then simply drag and drop files from your PC to the remote server.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Another choice would be to use FIlezilla, it supports both ftp and ssh, plus a few other protocols. It is available in the repositories.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Mariane View Post
    Hi,

I tried the scp commands, but I ran into trouble. It looked as if I was always mistyping my password (and I'm positive I wasn't).
    Try rsync instead of scp. Just replace "scp" with "rsync --progress" on your command to see the progress of the copy. A good thing with rsync is that an incomplete transfer can be continued again. Just issue the command again and it will start where it left off (or where it has been disconnected).
    "I learned a lot from repeatedly breaking my system and then reinstalling. Oh, and a lot of GOOGLE searches too!"
    The best Ubuntu derivative: Linux Mint
    Relax. Head to the Community Cafe
    The Philippine Team

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thank you all for your suggestions. I finally managed to upload with scp but it is tedious because I have to type the server's pswd every time. I will have more to upload shortly (I first set up the pages on my own computer).

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    Are you remembering to change the ftp mode to binary? I think you can see that kind of behavior if you try to ftp pngs as ascii
    Would you have a link, please? I don't know how to do that.

About Filezilla, is it something I should install on my own computer or on the server (or on both)?
    The result of the "make" command:
    - Sitting bored in front of a computer
    - Watching abstruse output scrolling upwards too fast to be read
    - And waiting for something to go wrong

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mariane View Post
    Would you have a link, please? I don't know how to do that.
    You just type the command 'binary' at the ftp prompt, like

Code:
    ftp> binary
    200 Switching to Binary mode.
    ftp>