Thread: Safety & Encryption

Beans

Safety & Encryption

After lots of research i only came across one thread on here that had remotely the information i wanted so ill ask it here.

I'm planning on getting a laptop for school and in the event i get it,i want to know if the following is possible. I want to install the /boot in an sd card and /home in an encrypted partition in the hdd. I want it like this so that the ONLY way to literally boot into ubuntu with my laptop would be to have the sd card in.

Is it possible? Can i also encrypt the sd card with the /boot? Are there any security flaws other than the sd card getting lost and copied? Can i set up a /boot or grub password in addition?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Safety & Encryption

Hi nickrichu.

Yes to all of that.

A few thoughts

The idea of the SD card would sure stop regular users from booting your computer. However, it won't stand for a delivered targeted attempt to boot it. Since the root partition is not encrypted, it could be relatively easy to install kernels and update grub.

You can encrypt your /home partition. It would be offered as an option as a part of the installation process. In most cases, that's all you need for privacy.

You can also do a full disk encryption (root partition and all) here are a couple of guides: EFF: Privacy in Ubuntu 12.10. Full Disk Encryption, and rationallyPARANOID: Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 LTS security configuration guide.

Hope it helps. Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by nickrichu View Post
    After lots of research i only came across one thread on here that had remotely the information i wanted so ill ask it here.

I'm planning on getting a laptop for school and in the event i get it,i want to know if the following is possible. I want to install the /boot in an sd card and /home in an encrypted partition in the hdd. I want it like this so that the ONLY way to literally boot into ubuntu with my laptop would be to have the sd card in.

Is it possible? Can i also encrypt the sd card with the /boot? Are there any security flaws other than the sd card getting lost and copied? Can i set up a /boot or grub password in addition?
    A better idea would be to install Ubuntu with an encrypted LVM, and use a extra long random password with special characters

Then, buy a YubiKey, store the password on it, and your done
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff
    Okay then. We're relying on mirror dust and fairies but now we have a plan which is progress - Emma

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    Hi nickrichu.

Yes to all of that.

A few thoughts

The idea of the SD card would sure stop regular users from booting your computer. However, it won't stand for a delivered targeted attempt to boot it. Since the root partition is not encrypted, it could be relatively easy to install kernels and update grub.

You can encrypt your /home partition. It would be offered as an option as a part of the installation process. In most cases, that's all you need for privacy.

You can also do a full disk encryption (root partition and all) here are a couple of guides: EFF: Privacy in Ubuntu 12.10. Full Disk Encryption, and rationallyPARANOID: Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 LTS security configuration guide.

Hope it helps. Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.
    So as long as /root and /home are encrypted,no one can access my info provided the sd card with /boot is safely with me?

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    A better idea would be to install Ubuntu with an encrypted LVM, and use a extra long random password with special characters

Then, buy a YubiKey, store the password on it, and your done
    What is a yubi key? Does 13.10 allow lvm encryption?

Beans

@papibe,i checked out the links and ​YOU ARE AMAZING.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by nickrichu View Post
    So as long as /root and /home are encrypted,no one can access my info provided the sd card with /boot is safely with me?

What is a yubi key? Does 13.10 allow lvm encryption?
    13.10 allows LVM encryption (from the installer) if you allow it to use the whole disk

YubiKey -> http://www.yubico.com/products/yubik...dware/yubikey/

Basically a (actual) physical key that when pressed, emulates a USB keyboard and sends the password. That allows you to set very complex passwords without needing to remember
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff
    Okay then. We're relying on mirror dust and fairies but now we have a plan which is progress - Emma