Thread: is there a tablet for developers?

Beans

Cool is there a tablet for developers?

Hi guys!!!
    I am from Panamá.
    I would like to buy a tablet cause smartphones are too short ...I would like to read some developer and linux ebooks or tutorial; that's why I would like to get a tablet. Is there any tablet out there that you can install like at least maybe notepad++ or any good editor for javascript or php?????????

Thanks you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: is there a tablet for developers?

Notepad++ is a free source code editor ... running in the MS Windows environment
    http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

So, notepad++ is a Windows application. You will need a Tablet PC running an variety of the Windows operating system.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you want to do any serious amount of typing, you'll be happier with a laptop, not a tablet.

On-screen keyboards are barely good enough to write a birthday greeting, much less a PHP script.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

I'd like a tablet or phone that I can carry around. And then plug it into an HDMI screen and use a keyboard and mouse with it. Shouldn't be a problem in 2013 should it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by madtom1999 View Post
    I'd like a tablet or phone that I can carry around. And then plug it into an HDMI screen and use a keyboard and mouse with it. Shouldn't be a problem in 2013 should it?
    I haven't seen any good options.
    Perhaps you could consider a chromebook + crouton to use Ubuntu.
    Light, cheap, lots of software and still usable on the go