Thread: Pin apps in vmware vm to unity launcher

Beans

Pin apps in vmware vm to unity launcher

Just wondering if it's possible. I know vmware has a command line interface to make apps run in a vm. I'm wondering if it's possible to get said app to correspond with a launcher in unity. That way i could just leave the vm in vmware's unity mode. Is this possible? How would i go about setting this up for different apps in the vm?

Beans

Re: Pin apps in vmware vm to unity launcher

You could make a *.desktop file with the command, then place the icon in the Unity launcher. Desktop files are located in /usr/share/applications. Here's one I made to launch XP in VMPlayer.

Code:
    :/$ cat /usr/share/applications/vmware-player-xp.desktop 

[Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Name=Windows XP
    Comment=Run a virtual machine
    Exec=/usr/bin/vmplayer /share/vmware/Windows\\ XP\\ Professional/Windows\\ XP\\ Professional.vmx
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    Icon=vmware-player
    StartupNotify=true
    Categories=System;
    MimeType=application/x-vmware-vm;
    Use this or one of the other *.desktop files in /usr/share/applications as a template for your *.desktop file. If you want the launcher available only to you save the file in ~./local/share/applications. If you want the launcher available for all users save the file to /usr/share/applications. Here's some more information on the command string needed:

http://everydaylht.com/howtos/deskto...linux-desktop/
    For those new to Ubuntu most of your answers can be found at help.ubuntu.com or ubuntuguide.org