Thread: existing install -> live bootable DVD/flashdrive ?

Beans

Question existing install -> live bootable DVD/flashdrive ?

So I want to figure out how to take an existing ubuntu 12.04 LTS install and make it into a live bootable DVD and/or flashdrive_usb. Any ideas how to do this? I bought a Linux Format magazine that has an article on 'Remaster a working install' using tools from linux-live.org and it seemed to work until I burned the resulting ISO to a dvd and tried booting that only to get errors and no bootable linux

Beans

Re: existing install -> live bootable DVD/flashdrive ?

If you have a simple system with only a root partition and a swap partition, you can use the One Button Installer.

Otherwise remastersys might still work for 12.04. See this link http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2184675

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    If you have a simple system with only a root partition and a swap partition, you can use the One Button Installer.

Otherwise remastersys might still work for 12.04. See this link http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2184675
    Thank you. Sounds like there is hope. I followed all the steps in that Linux Format magazine how-to and produced the iso, burned it to a DVD, only to have it not work, a bit disillusioning. linux-live.org does not seem to have much documentation nor support. That magazine article kind of leaves one hanging though it succeeded in getting me to buy an expensive magazine.

I will give a look at the OBI method, etc. This would be something cool and new if I can figure out how to take an existing install and make a bootable flashdrive from it.

Beans

The OBI is still new. I hope it will be an easy alternative at the end of life of Windows XP, but it is also useful to make personal or tweaked systems portable. Some of the instructions probably needs to be developed, so feel free to ask questions, if you need help