Thread: SGI Stuff

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

SGI Stuff

Rob writes to mention a Computer Business Review article looking at the bankruptcy of SGI, and whether the company is planning on a comeback. CEO Dennis McKenna is emphatic that the company isn't just looking for an exit strategy, but it's hard to see where they could go from here. From the article: "SGI has more challenges ahead, and I still find it hard to believe that after all of the chances it has had to run a profitable server and visualization business in the past it can miraculously do so now, selling lower-end boxes on even slimmer margins. But I'm hoping that the Chapter 11 has provided the necessary wake-up call for the company to get really lean really fast, because only from a more stable financial footing does it have any hope of fighting its way back onto new technology buyers' wish-lists."

Links to stuff in the article
    http://www.businessreviewonline.com/...gi_become.html

What I wanna know is, is SGI really capable of comin back?

Beans

Re: SGI Stuff

unfortunately, I don't think so. I'm a collector and fan of SGI, and from some of my research, it looks like they've been headed downhill since the late 90's. right now, it looks like they might scrape by with servers and supercomputers, but the fact that technology has surpassed them by offering more powerful stuff at lower prices is a sign that workstations probably wont be profitable, unless they find a way to create new workstations, price competitively, but keep their business model of selling service first and hardware second. but even then, they will probably struggle due to the rate the smaller cheaper guys are pumping out speed and price-competitive stuff.

Re: SGI Stuff

Locked. Necromancing. Start a new thread and provide a link to this one.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine