Thread: VMware ...not working after upgrade???

Beans

VMware ...not working after upgrade???

I installed the upgrade 13.10 and now my VMWare won't work.

"VMWare Kernel Module Updater.

Before you can run VMWare, several modules must be compiled and loaded into the running kernel.

Kernel Headers 3.8.0-31 generic

Kernel headers for version 3.8.0-31 generic were not found."

My VMWare was working perfectly *before* I updated... what's going on???

Help please... I need my VMWare.

R.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: VMware ...not working after upgrade???

How did you install VMware? It may need to be reinstalled as there were some kernel revisions that may be too much for what you have on there.

Beans

I installed VMware workstation 10.1 ..... as I always do, CD to downloads, chmod etc, etc.. then installed it, except I got the above message from Ubuntu...

R.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rainman3 View Post
    Kernel headers for version 3.8.0-31 generic were not found.
    You need to install the kernel headers for 3.8.0-31 generic so VMware can compile modules against them.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-3.8.0-31-generic
    For those new to Ubuntu most of your answers can be found at help.ubuntu.com or ubuntuguide.org

Beans

For the future just install the meta-package so the latest version of headers will always be on your system.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
    For those new to Ubuntu most of your answers can be found at help.ubuntu.com or ubuntuguide.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I get the same message about compiling modules after clean install of 13.10 and fresh install of VMware 9 - except it lists no specific files. When I click "install" in the dialogue box about the modules, nothing seems to happen. If I try to start VMware again, same dialogue, same non-result. No error message.

Installation said VMware 9 was successfully installed, although the only way I could figure to install it was using the command line the whole way - never saw the GUI installer.

I've used the code in the last post to check linux-headers-generic, and got the response that they were already updated to the latest version.

Anything else to to try?

Thanks!
    System76 Ratel, Ubuntu 16.04; Thinkpad T420, UbuntuMATE 16.04; MacBook dual-booting UbuntuMATE 16.04; various other laptops/desktops with Ubuntu, Mint & Puppy. . . Long Live Linux!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

I think the recompile GUI for VMware is broken.

I've used this command with success:
    Code:
    sudo vmware-modconfig --console --install-all
    "How did it get so late so soon"
    To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unhappy Re: VMware ...not working after upgrade???

Quote Originally Posted by Paresh View Post
    I think the recompile GUI for VMware is broken.

I've used this command with success:
    Code:
    sudo vmware-modconfig --console --install-all
    I used it, and got a lot of activity, but in the end it failed to compile - at least some modules didn't compile, it says "Unable to install all modules. See log for details." I'd paste the log text but you'd kill me, as it's pages. When I try to start VMware, I still get the dialogue box about the modules, and it still does nothing when I click "Install".

I'm wondering if something is wrong with Ubuntu? I just installed 13.10, clean on a new SSD, last week. But several times I've gotten error messages on startup about system errors, offering to send a msg to Ubuntu. Then the system goes on to run OK, so I haven't worried about it.

Is there a diagnostic I could run that would correct any system errors? Or would I be better off at this point, since the install is new and not highly personalized, to just install the whole shootin' match over again?

Thanks for any wisdom! Appreciate it very much.
    System76 Ratel, Ubuntu 16.04; Thinkpad T420, UbuntuMATE 16.04; MacBook dual-booting UbuntuMATE 16.04; various other laptops/desktops with Ubuntu, Mint & Puppy. . . Long Live Linux!

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi all,

There is an update for workstation 9 (9.0.3 build-1410761) that works with Ubuntu 13.10. I posted on other thread for this update info already, but I think it would help here also.
    shd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by suhongdoan View Post
    Hi all,

There is an update for workstation 9 (9.0.3 build-1410761) that works with Ubuntu 13.10. I posted on other thread for this update info already, but I think it would help here also.
    shd
    Thanks, will try it - maybe that's the problem. I haven't got VMware working yet - luckily, don't need it immediately. Appreciate it!

Reid