Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: The one pet peeve I have about Unity

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Beans
    47

    The one pet peeve I have about Unity

    So, I've installed Ubuntu 12.04 and while I disagree with the inflexibility of the Unity bar, it is something that I can get used to on the side.

    What I really miss however is the fact that when you have a browser maximized, it doesn't sit flush with the top of the screen. The top of the screen has the clock and a few other apps.

    What this means is that now if I want to close a browser tab, I've got to line up the mouse arrow on both the X and the Y axis whereas before, I'd just push the mouse arrow to the top of the screen and then go left or right to close the tab.

    This may not seem like a big deal, but for someone with shaky hands, it does make a difference. I guess there is no way to at least get the bar to be flush with the top of the screen?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    England
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: The one pet peeve I have about Unity

    So what you want is a panel at the bottom of the screen, not the top?

    If so have a look at Xubuntu or Lubuntu.

    You could also stick with your current Ubuntu (to give you all the applications you now have) and add the xfce4 or lxde desktop packages, then choose one or other of those when you get to the login screen.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Beans
    1,658
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: The one pet peeve I have about Unity

    The top panel is fixed on Unity. Xubuntu has a top panel as installed, but it's easily moved to the bottom of the screen. Lubuntu, with LXDE, puts the panel on the bottom by default.

    Kubuntu, with KDE, of course, comes with the panel on the bottom by default.

    The Mate desktop is essentially the Gnome 2 interface you may be used to if you just upgraded to 12.04. By default, it has panels on top and bottom, but is easily configured to use only a bottom panel. Look at mate-desktop,org for more info and how to install.

    The Linux Mint distribution is based on Ubuntu and used the same software repositories, so applications available for Ubuntu are available for Mint. It comes in 4 interface styles, each with a panel on the bottom. Mint has a reputation as a solid and very usable distribution: linuxmint.com.
    Last edited by buzzingrobot; October 29th, 2013 at 12:05 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York, NY
    Beans
    1,190
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

    Re: The one pet peeve I have about Unity

    I don't know if you realize it, but because the unity top panel is a global menu, space is actually being saved at the top...the reason is that what would normally be on the top section of the browser is incorporated into the actual panel bar...so no extra space is really taken at all!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Beans
    1,658
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: The one pet peeve I have about Unity

    Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    I don't know if you realize it, but because the unity top panel is a global menu, space is actually being saved at the top...the reason is that what would normally be on the top section of the browser is incorporated into the actual panel bar...so no extra space is really taken at all!

    The OP's concern is about usability with an unsteady hand, not screen space.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Williams Lake
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: The one pet peeve I have about Unity

    If you press F11, you get the browser in full screen without being bothered with any top panel, or anything else on the desktop.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    albuquerque
    Beans
    561
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: The one pet peeve I have about Unity

    Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    If you press F11, you get the browser in full screen without being bothered with any top panel, or anything else on the desktop.
    This does not work for me. Unity in 12.04. F11 toggles the volume on and off on my notebook. But I don't share the OP's one pet peeve.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bombay
    Beans
    6,443
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: The one pet peeve I have about Unity

    Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    This does not work for me. Unity in 12.04. F11 toggles the volume on and off on my notebook. But I don't share the OP's one pet peeve.
    Maybe you need to use Fn+F11?
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    albuquerque
    Beans
    561
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: The one pet peeve I have about Unity

    Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Maybe you need to use Fn+F11?
    Oh, yeah. Duh.
    Last edited by malspa; October 29th, 2013 at 07:26 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bombay
    Beans
    6,443
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: The one pet peeve I have about Unity

    Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    Yeah, that does it. So does pressing F11 alone, as cariboo907 wrote, work on other computers the same as Fn+F11 here?
    On my Dell 1545 laptop, all but one of the function keys have dual roles. Depending on what I set in the BIOS, I can use the function key alone or with "Fn" and access one or the other purpose. So I've used the setting in BIOS that lets me use the function key in isolation for the "conventional" function purpose and use Fn+Fx for the "multimedia" aspect.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •