Thread: libreoffice

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

libreoffice

I would like to do away with libreoffice and use openoffice insted.what is the best way to do this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: libreoffice

The easiest (and most straightforward) method for installing Apache OpenOffice is as follows:

sudo apt-get purge libreoffice*

goto www.openoffice.org/download , click download, click on "open with Archive Manager", Ubuntu will download and decompress the packages into the en-US (or your own locale) folder

sudo dpkg -i en-US/DEBS/*.deb

sudo dpkg -i en-US/DEBS/desktop-integration/*.deb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by uaw1998@yahoo.com View Post
    I would like to do away with libreoffice and use openoffice insted.what is the best way to do this?
    I'm interested to know why you want to do this? What do you find OOo does better than LO?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

open office works better for me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by uaw1998@yahoo.com View Post
    open office works better for me.
    Yes, that much I had supposed.

The question remains; in what way does OOo work better for you than LO?

Beans

I was under the impression the LO is getting more active development and upgrades, whereas OOorg is just something else that Oracle inherited from Sun.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by David_Pecot View Post
    I was under the impression the LO is getting more active development and upgrades, whereas OOorg is just something else that Oracle inherited from Sun.
    Yes, that is what I thought too, though I believe that OOo has begun to be a lot more active recently.

Personally I think I still prefer LO, but I admit I haven't seen OOo for a long time, and I am also using the most recent stable LO for 12.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

We have switched all of our desktop/notebook machines from LO to Apache OpenOffice. The main reason is that in LO, its Chinese UI was largely inadequate. Equally important is that, when switched to Chinese locale, LO sometimes can become very sluggish, several times, we thought the system crashed. The results are reproducible, not just flukes. In comparison, the Chinese translation of Apache OpenOffice was very professional done, and, so far, has been running very smoothly.

Even in the English locale, we have found several glitches that made us feel uncomfortable about using LO. For example, we couldn't change the program cache time (i.e., "Remove from memory after . . .") from the default value. LO's page numbering became unstable when we use more than one page numbering layout (e.g., with table of contents one type of page numbering, then restarting page numbering in the main text body with another numbering type). Both are regressions, but they occurred probably because LO was always in a development stage and it changes version numbers too frequently.
    Last edited by ping-wu; October 29th, 2013 at 08:02 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'm still sticking with LO, although there is an annoying bug with the concordance file that makes indexes unusable. Using Apache OO just for that part when needed.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]