Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discussion regarding Ubuntu in schools

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Discussion regarding Ubuntu in schools

Quote Originally Posted by serge.a.123 View Post
    If we are talking about using Ubuntu in schools, I just want to point out kids safety issue. I set Ubuntu 13 for my daughter (10 y.o.). Was I surprised when I opened lenses and typed GIMP to show her the editor - some things that came up in one of the shopping lenses - would not call them exactly age appropriate. I wish there was some sort of safety filter. I am yet to do my research for that but so far I didn't find any.

It looks like I can disable this through Privacy option in Ubuntu settings. Going to try this when I am home.
    Sorry to hear about your experience. I wonder if you should make someone at Canonical aware, perhaps they could tweak something to preclude others having the same experience. Yes, I believe there's a privacy setting that you can disable web searches. You could also look into using an alternative desktop. I use gnome-shell in lieu of Unity and don't get the Amazon search output. Xubuntu & Lubuntu don't display non-local searches either.

Beans

Apparently there are still builds of Chromium OS out there: http://chromium.arnoldthebat.co.uk/

Apart from that, I agree that Lubuntu should be reasonable.

As for the resistance from the IT folks, just tell them that it ain't so hard. If they can manage using blackberries at work and iPhones at home, they can manage running Linux.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by serge.a.123 View Post
    If we are talking about using Ubuntu in schools, I just want to point out kids safety issue. I set Ubuntu 13 for my daughter (10 y.o.). Was I surprised when I opened lenses and typed GIMP to show her the editor - some things that came up in one of the shopping lenses - would not call them exactly age appropriate. I wish there was some sort of safety filter. I am yet to do my research for that but so far I didn't find any.

It looks like I can disable this through Privacy option in Ubuntu settings. Going to try this when I am home.
    Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your experience. I wonder if you should make someone at Canonical aware, perhaps they could tweak something to preclude others having the same experience. Yes, I believe there's a privacy setting that you can disable web searches. You could also look into using an alternative desktop. I use gnome-shell in lieu of Unity and don't get the Amazon search output. Xubuntu & Lubuntu don't display non-local searches either.
    Off topic. Please get back on topic. There is no way a full blown Ubuntu with shopping lenses will run on these dinky machines. If you have security concerns, please post them in the Security Discussions section.

Does make my day, though, that the school is running Win and Google products then states they're worried about security! Then someone else suggests installing a totally obsolete 10.10 release.

I suggest, yes, you do need to get hands dirty. Do some planning, create a mini-install with a lightweight desktop environment and only the apps you are going to need. Create an ISO of the install once you're done and install it to all other machines. This is going to take some work to get right, but they're not going to be very convinced of anything unless you have a feasible and convincing plan.

Puppy Linux or Porteus may do the trick. There is the option of getting every kid to buy (or supplying them with) a USB stick, installing a lightweight OS with persistence to that with a small partition for any personal data. To use, kid sticks in USB dongle, boot machine from it, there's their own OS with their own customisations. Back up to the cloud at the end of each day (or when appropriate). Puppy Linux would be perfect for this.

Using this method you don't need to install an OS to the machine at all. Files are backed up to the ether, not the machine, and you can keep backups of the USB dongles in case one is lost and a kid just can't live without their customisations! (Or can't be bothered redo-ing on a replacement, vanilla dongle).

I like the USB option and would probably go that way, or at least pursue it until convinced it either was or wasn't going to work.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; December 22nd, 2013 at 04:42 AM.

Beans

Would Peppermint OS not be a viable alternative?

http://peppermintos.com/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppermint_Linux_OS

Beans

I did not read all the comments, so this might be redundant.

My colleague and I have run Ubuntu/Edubuntu thin clients on our lab (his now, I am retired) for 6 or 7 years, on the oldest crap in the school. With it we have done Cad, heavy graphics, programming and more stuff than the rest of the Windows school could dream of. Do not think of using old boxes as computers, find out about LTSP and learn how to use them as thin clients.

As for security. The school maintains a filter. Yours does too I expect. We used openDNS for the time we were somehow out of that loop. More than that, only one installation to maintain for the whole lab. I've installed software for the lab between bells (4 minutes) and the kids were all using it that period.

Beyond that, I was able to build a reverse firewall to keep kids out of the computers entirely or just off the web or just on the web but only on chosen sites, or anywhere the school's filter allowed.

You run the sexiest newest version of Ubuntu you want or stick to solid 12.04. All the clients run that as thin clients, even if they can't run that as a full blown computer.

There is an endless supply of old computers the rest of the school does not want.

I've been in the business of computers in schools since the DOS era. Nothing I ever used came close in terms of control, usability or security.

Beans

Setting up Ubuntu for a school lab is a very different animal than a home set up, in a lot of ways. I've done both. Kids in both places. (Same for Windows and Macs, really). For one thing, most schools maintain a filter (and pay for it and folks to keep it working) which you probably do not have on a home system. So your daughter would see things at home she could not see at school, regardless of the OS. While I did have occasional issues with kids finding their way into places they should not have been, by far the bigger issue for me has been that computers in schools are a 2 edged sword, with distractions of all sorts getting in the way of education. This would include such mundane things as kids yanking wires for a joke, playing games, watching videos and so on.

Anyhow, there are some filters you can install at home (forget the name, check out software center), but this really has little to do with a school situation.

Beans

Go with very light wheight distos. Try Lubuntu. I'm not sure of the other specs, it should work fine.

In our english institue, they have ubuntu 5 installed on the systems and it's been working since the day I signed up there !!!
    The best way to convince them is installing ubuntu on your own box and showing them the features and how it works. They'll love it...

Beans

I would recommend a new distribution with a lighter desktop environment. You could try the manjaro netbook edition http://manjaro.org/2014/01/25/1st-re...8-9-available/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12