Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Computer reboots by itself - Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Re: Computer reboots by itself - Ubuntu 12.04

Try switching back to the original desktop environment yet? Unity is what it probably came with from the factory. Does the issue still occur at that point? Great way to test for hardware issues is to create a live flash drive stick of Ubuntu and boot from your live stick of Ubuntu and let it sit. Check the logs on the live stick to see if anything is out of the ordinary. You will know pretty quickly if it is hardware or just a setting that is messed up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by rmimtz View Post

The computer shuts down normally but turns on again by itself after 5 seconds. It is an infinite loop. I log under Xubuntu, try to shutdown again, and bim, it restarts by itself. I need to log under w7 to shut it down properly.

This problem also happened under Mint (before Xubuntu I tried Mint 16, and after a few reboots by itself, I switched under Xubuntu because I thought the problem was coming from Mint).
    Thank you very much for any kind of help (even if you suggest me to throw my computer by the window).

Remi.
    So a dual-boot system where you installed multiple OS (more or less the same kind) works perfect under W7 but not under any Ubuntu-like OS and at the same time your're certain that Ubuntu 13.04 can function because in a later post you indicate this computer is sold with 13.04?

Keep your computer.

The solution must be found in bios. By the way, and I know this is not a solution, what happens if you hit the power switch after those 5 seconds when it wants to reboot?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Johan De Cauwer View Post
    So a dual-boot system where you installed multiple OS (more or less the same kind) works perfect under W7 but not under any Ubuntu-like OS and at the same time your're certain that Ubuntu 13.04 can function because in a later post you indicate this computer is sold with 13.04?

Keep your computer.

The solution must be found in bios. By the way, and I know this is not a solution, what happens if you hit the power switch after those 5 seconds when it wants to reboot?
    Good evening Johan,

you are abslutely right. W7 was working normally. Zero problem of reboots, ever. And, yes, System 76 sells the same computer with 13.04 distro.

I tried to hit the power switch after 5 seconds when it wants to reboot, and a quick clic does nothing. The computer restarts alone when on AC. Like a big boy.

I also checked on the BIOS, but as I don't know exactly what to look for, I am a little lost.

Have a nice end of day !

Thank you.

Remi.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by linuxguru43 View Post
    Try switching back to the original desktop environment yet? Unity is what it probably came with from the factory. Does the issue still occur at that point? Great way to test for hardware issues is to create a live flash drive stick of Ubuntu and boot from your live stick of Ubuntu and let it sit. Check the logs on the live stick to see if anything is out of the ordinary. You will know pretty quickly if it is hardware or just a setting that is messed up.
    Hello linuxguru43,

Try switching back to the original desktop environment yet? Unity is what it probably came with from the factory. Does the issue still occur at that point?
    I am only using Ubuntu 12.04. So I already have Unity. I stopped using Xubuntu to switch to the LTS, hoping that the problem will stop. It was a good idea, but it did not work !

Great way to test for hardware issues is to create a live flash drive stick of Ubuntu and boot from your live stick of Ubuntu and let it sit. Check the logs on the live stick to see if anything is out of the ordinary. You will know pretty quickly if it is hardware or just a setting that is messed up.
    Stupid question: how can I access these logs ? Is it what the system displays when i turn it off (the black screen with the messages just before the Ubuntu logo) ? Are there stored somewhere, in a file I can cat or vi ?

Thank you and sorry if my questions are stupid.

Remi.

Beans

Hello everybody;

crazy update on my weird problem:

I discovered that if I unplug the AC cable just in between the moment the computer turns off and it automatically reboots, the computer does not reboot at all. This works with and without laptop_mode enabled. And I also discovered that the reboot problem does not appear on battery when laptop_mode is off.

For those who tried to help me before, I went on the BIOS, and as expected I did not find anything strange. At the same time I did not know exactly what to look for.

Thanks to those involved in that topic that try to help me.

Remi.
    Last edited by rmimtz; November 22nd, 2013 at 02:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What you are seeking in the BIOS is a setting which starts the machine when power is restored. That should give you all the key terms you would need to look through your BIOS and locate the setting in question. Like I said previously, this settings exists primarily so that if a server loses power (a power failure) the server will restart when the power is restored (to the building).

Can you try a different power supply? Like perhaps borrowing the same power supply from a friend? Or visit a store which happens to sell that power supply?
    "We're all in this together, kid." --H. Tuttle (a.k.a. H. Buttle)
    "Maybe it's a layer 8 problem." --thatguruguy
    A High-Tech Blech!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12