Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using latest flash player on firefox in Ubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Using latest flash player on firefox in Ubuntu 13.04

Hi everybody,
    I'm using Firefox 24 on Ubuntu 13.04. I'm watch any online video, flash games without no problems, but recently for just from two days ago a specific website is asking me to update my flash player and I can't get specific feature without updating flash. Point to be noted, using chromimum that site works perfectly, but I love Firefox and want to continue to use that.

Please help me on this regard.

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Using latest flash player on firefox in Ubuntu 13.04

You can't. The latest flash is not available on Linux and will never be. Chromium has the latest flash build-in, but this won't happen for firefox.

Beans

You can most certainly have Flash, but no versions past 11.2 will be released.

I activate the "partners" repository, then use "sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin". Works like a charm.

Now if this "specific web site" happens to be Amazon Instant Video, that's a deeper problem. Amazon and other commercial sites rely on DRM restrictions to control access to content. On Linux systems that has meant installing the now-deprecated HAL. Starting with 13.10, the required hal and libhal1 packages are no longer in the repositories. I've tried a couple of alternatives like using the Raring releases or the Debian packages mentioned in the link. So far it hasn't worked for me, so I'm using my PS3 to watch Instant Video now rather than my computer.

If you are still on 13.04, try running "sudo apt-get install hal libhal1" and see if you can watch what you're missing.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; October 28th, 2013 at 05:13 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro

Thanks to everyone for your help. I'm also sorry for late reply. I'll try sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin and post the result here ASAP.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by uzumakifahim View Post
    Hi everybody,
    I'm using Firefox 24 on Ubuntu 13.04. I'm watch any online video, flash games without no problems, but recently for just from two days ago a specific website is asking me to update my flash player and I can't get specific feature without updating flash. Point to be noted, using chromimum that site works perfectly, but I love Firefox and want to continue to use that.

Please help me on this regard.

Thanks in advance.
    Why don't you provide the link to this specific website?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    You can't. The latest flash is not available on Linux and will never be. Chromium has the latest flash build-in, but this won't happen for firefox.
    Chrome does. I don't think Chromium does by default.

Beans
    Distro

That site is elance.com, a freelancing site. I can upload any file on this site, it's saying I need to upgrade my flash player.

There is one more thing, no luck with sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin.

Beans

Did you activate the partners repository like I said? Either do it through your GUI package manager, or remove the leading hash mark ("#") from the line:
    Code:
    deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu raring partner
    in /etc/apt/sources.list ("sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list").

Then run "sudo apt-get update" to refresh the repository manifests, followed by "sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin". I'm running Kubuntu 13.04 on this machine with Flash installed that way.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; November 2nd, 2013 at 09:25 AM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Did you enable the partner repos in the Software & Updates application under "Other Sources"?

http://askubuntu.com/questions/14629...ner-repository

Of course change "maverick" to "raring" for 13.04.
    For those new to Ubuntu most of your answers can be found at help.ubuntu.com or ubuntuguide.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi all,

I am having a similar problem. Some videos on this same site will play, others do not. Since it is the same problem and might help, I am using this post instead of opening a new one.
    I already followed what was mentioned here, flash-plugin is installed correctly.

This is a video that does not play.
    This is a video that does play.

I tested on chromium web browser and it also does not work.

Regards and thanks.

David.
    Last edited by yoramdavid; November 2nd, 2013 at 10:52 AM. Reason: tested in chromium
    Yoram David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast