Thread: disconnecting external monitor causes total mess with windows (Unity)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thumbs down disconnecting external monitor causes total mess with windows (Unity)

Hello, I am continuously being annoyed by this ridiculous behaviour of Unity virtual desktops. I use Ubuntu 12.04 at work on my laptop with external monitor. I usually have my windows spread over two virtual desktops and use ctrl+up/down arrowsto switch between them. When I have to go to a meeting or somewhere, I disconnect the external screen (1920*1200) and then have a very hard time chasing all my windows around the screen and getting them somehow together again! It is even that silly that a lot of them have now their title bars outside the screen so I have to use the key shortcut alt+space to access window context menu, then press m and move the window back to visible area by arrow keys! I cannot imagine some BFU to handle this kind of situation :-] I see it is because the virtual desktop shrinks from 1200 vertical pixels to just 600 (Thinkpad T420 screen height), but why the heck can't they be automatically moved so their top coords relative to the virtual desktop top left corner are the same as before is a mystery for me...
    Tell me why this can't just work as it does on MS Windows? If there is some settings or workaround to prevent this behaviour, please share as I would really appreciate it.
    those that are last may yet be first

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: disconnecting external monitor causes total mess with windows (Unity)

So I guess I am the only one who dares to use Ubuntu for work
    those that are last may yet be first

Beans

Re: disconnecting external monitor causes total mess with windows (Unity)

Nope, I have the same issue and it's quite annoying. I just submitted the following bug report on this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1245459. It might get more attention if you confirm it.